1.8T P0122 error code

Dinobigbelow

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My Mrs car has developed a fault which I have been looking into online for a couple weeks now but could really do with some help now. It’s an A4 1.8T cabrio 2007.
The EPC and ESP lights came on whilst driving. I scanned it and got Code P0122. I managed to clear the codes which I realised after disappeared anyway once the ignition had been turned off and on again.
If you drive the car fairly gently it doesn’t seem to come on all that quickly but if I accelerate quite hard it comes on and goes into limp mode. The car starts fine and doesn’t appear to be running roughly or anything.
I ordered a replacement pedal as it seemed to be the cheapest and easiest option to try first but it has had no effect.
Could anyone plz help with any advice as to what to do next.

Thanks, Dino

Hi, I assume that's not via vcds scan, as a generic scan code it shows as ,

Possible causes Faulty throttle position sensor. Throttle position sensor harness is open or shorted Throttle position sensor circuit poor electrical connection What does this mean? When is the code detected? An excessively low voltage from the Throttle Pedal Position (TPP) Sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM). Possible symptoms Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) P0122 Audi Description The throttle position sensor (TPS) responds to the accelerator pedal movement. This sensor is a kind of potentiometer which transforms the throttle position into output voltage, and emits the voltage signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM). In addition, the sensor detects the opening and closing speed of the throttle valve and feeds the voltage signal to the ECM.Idle position of the throttle valve is determined by the ECM receiving the signal from the throttle position sensor. This sensor controls engine operation such as fuel cut. On the other hand, the Wide open and closed throttle position switch, which is built into the throttle position sensor unit, is not used for engine control.Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/p0122_audi.html

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/p0122_audi.html

As a OBD code it reads as follows for audi errors.

Audi P0122 Throttle Position Sensor/Accelerator Position Pedal Circuit Low Input
Description
OBD-II Trouble Code Description for P0122 Audi

Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch “A” Circuit Low

What does this mean?
OBD2 Code P0122 Audi definition:
A P0122 Audi code means that the the car’s computer has detected that the TPS (throttle position sensor) is reporting too low a voltage. On some vehicles that lower limit is 0.17 – 0.20 volts (V). Did you adjust it when you installed it? If the signal value is less than .17V then the PCM sets this code. Could be an open or a short to ground in the signal circuit. Or you may have lost the 5Volt reference voltage.

Symptoms
Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0122 Audi
Rough or low idle Stalling Surging No/little acceleration other symptoms may also be present

Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0122 Audi
A code P0122 Audi may mean that one or more of the following has happened: TPS not mounted securely TPS circuit short to ground or another wire Faulty TPS Damaged computer (PCM)

Possible Solutions
Some recommended troubleshooting and repair steps are: Carefully check the throttle position sensor (TPS), wiring connector, and wiring for breaks, etc. Repair or replace as necessary Check the voltage at the TPS (refer to a service manual for your vehicle for specific information). If the voltage is too low that is indicative of a problem. Replace if necessary. If recently replaced the TPS may need to be adjusted. On some vehicles the installation instructions call for the TPS to be properly aligned or adjusted, consult a repair manual for specifics. If there are no symptoms at all, the problem may be intermittent and clearing the code may resolve the issue temporarily. If this is the case then you should definitely check the wiring to be sure it’s not rubbing on anything, grounding, etc. The code may come back.

Related Codes
P0120 Audi P0121 Audi P0123 Audi P0124 Audi

If you look on youtube there are quite a few vids on the subject etc, sometimes it is better to see what your dealing with rather than working from a text reply.

cheers
rob

I’ve looked mate. I’ve looked under the bonnet also. There’s two items in the throttle body it could be. One’s quite small with 2 bolts and the other quite big and looks like it’s held on with clips

I’m gonna try see if Car Scanner can give me a voltage reading for the tps. Wanna try and avoid the £430 throttle body replacement

have you checked the wiring and plugs, audi wiring is very good at failing , splits and breaks are very common around the whole car, engine aswell, maybe prudent to check it all in that area to make sure it's nothing obvious like a damaged wire or plug etc.

I’ve checked the 2 connectors going to the throttle body. Nothing seems obvious or corroded but will have another check