No boost on 1.9tdi please help

Rudidudi

Reaction score
The car isn't boosting at any revs, at least I can't feel anything or hear anything.

I disconnected the hose (#1, highlighted in yellow), which goes to the bottom connection of that valve. This has a vacuum. When I block this, the turbo actuator arm rises, when I unblock the actuator drops.

Reconnected yellow hose.

Disconnected the hose (#2 red / orange) . No vacuum on idle or on revving in neutral (no load). The arm on the back of this (egr valve?) moves freely.

On revving the turbo actuator spikes v quickly once and rests in low / original position immediately.

Any ideas?

05e972f1dfbf2219ad813511be798e8a.jpg

Last edited:
The orange line is not for the EGR valve that's the anti shudder valve. It only closes when you turn the engine off. It stops all air entering the engine, with no air there is nothing to compress so the engine takes longer to stop. So effectively it coasts to a halt rather than stopping suddenly.
You more than likely have a boost leak in a hose. Check the hose from the turbo to the intercooler that fails quite commonly. You can usually feel or see a wet oil patch where the crankcase ventilation fumes leak out.
The actuator should pull in as soon as the engine starts to put the VNT into the max boost position. Fail safe with no vacuum is minimum boost position.

The orange line is not for the EGR valve that's the anti shudder valve. It only closes when you turn the engine off. It stops all air entering the engine, with no air there is nothing to compress so the engine takes longer to stop. So effectively it coasts to a halt rather than stopping suddenly.
You more than likely have a boost leak in a hose. Check the hose from the turbo to the intercooler that fails quite commonly. You can usually feel or see a wet oil patch where the crankcase ventilation fumes leak out.
The actuator should pull in as soon as the engine starts to put the VNT into the max boost position. Fail safe with no vacuum is minimum boost position.
I'll check again tomorrow as it's dark now, but I don't think the lever highlighted in orange (#2) moved at all (either on engine start or when turned off). I'll check again to be sure.

Pulling the lever behind #2 manually stalls the engine.

The actuator I mentioned above was the turbo actuator (under blue #3) . This rose up when the hose at #1 was connected and dropped when disconnected.

I've not played with the intercooler before, where is it located? Do I need to drop the engine tray to get to the pipe work?

This was the actuator on my Passat PD130. Mind your arms if trying to do this kind of thing. Pulley and fans are waiting to remove something.

Reactions: Rudidudi
Don't worry about the anti stall. If it's not moving it's not a problem. If you have a vacuum leak than that isn't good and you won't get the VNT to it's proper position. If you can measure the vacuum then it should be around 23 inches of vacuum at idle.
Upload 2019 3 3 17 47 3

These cars us 2 side mount intercoolers mounted behind the bumper. Easiest way to check everything is to remove the bumper.

Hi, sorry for late reply, only just got the change to investigate a little more.

I bought a vacuum pump and the vacuum seems to hold, with a very slow drop in vacuum, see video.

I couldnt find any splits in boost pipes under the car, in fact when revved they got pretty hard so im assuming this is a good sign?

I took this off the bottom of the anti shudder valve (i think)... does that make a difference?

also, i capyured some logs on VCDS, there was one error code that would not clear:

Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-019-AJM.lbl
Part No: 038 906 019 BS
Component: 1.9l R4 EDC 0000SG 1253
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 02325
VCID: 69D2535713E9E45096B
WAUZZZ xxxxxx

1 Fault Found
19561 - Valve for Intake Manifold Flap (N239)
P3105 - 35-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent
Readiness: 0 0 X X X
Any ideas what this is and how I can fix it?

I logged blocks 08, 10 and 11, not sure how I can attach an xls here or paste a table?

The file is downloadable from this link, its a csv file

Any help appreciated :)

Last edited:

The hose on the right hand side (when sitting in the car) from the turbo was quite oily, but as mentioned i couldnt find any leaks and when the engine was revved the hoses went very hard...

The actuator pulls with the vacuum line attached, is this the no boost position?

If I disconnect the vacuum line on the turbo actuator will this give boost (albeit not regulated?)?

Maximum vacuum on the actuator gives maximum boost.its a fail safe system it requires a full vacuum and a working actuator. otherwise if the diaphragm broke you would get full boost. Not sure how you are getting full boost with no vacuum unless the actuator is stuck.

I am getting no boost

I'll take a video and post it, much be easier.

When the engine is startednand idles the turbo actuator arm rises slowly until it reaches a max position. Pulling the vacuum line of and the arm drops.

I'm guessing this is expected behaviour?

Is this 'max' boost position? (if so, why isn't the car boosting)