Door locks

L

Lee Pritchard

Hi guys.

I’m very new at this so go easy on me please.

I have an Audi A3 57 plate. 1.8 TFSI S LINE.

My passenger front door will not unlock from the fob but works perfectly when opened from inside.

Boot will not open from the pressure button but ok with the fob.

My brake lights randomly won’t work and warning on dash and then work again.

Auto door lock works but light does not show on door panel.

What do I need to do to fix it.

First thing I would do would be to pull back the concertina grommets by the doors and for the boot to see if there are any broken wires.
Assuming you have a decent battery in the fob (the little red light shows on the fob if the battery is OK) I think the door lock is on the way out. The next stage is the inside handle will not work, then you are in real trouble. The puddle light not working is definitely related to the door lock. It sounds like the boot lock is on the way out too.
With the brake light, when it is playing up get someone to check that all lights are working. If none are working it could be the brake light switch.

Reactions: Lee Pritchard
Thanks.

I have tried looking for the brake light switch but can’t find one on the brake pedal. I will check all these other options out.

Good advice posted so far and not much to add , if it is the door lock mechanism that is faulty (a very common problem with the A3 and Golf etc that share the same parts) then get it fixed sooner rather than later, if it fails totally in the door closed position then you have to butcher the door card panel to open the door and get the lock out!
The offside rear lock on my own car failed about a month ago and it’s an easy fix , about 30 mins to replace , although you will need or have access to a VCDS cable to ensure the new lock has the same software programming as the old one.
It’s generally accepted that these locks are of poor quality and will eventually fail with time , I had been wondering when I would begin to get lock hassles and am certain that at some time my other 3 locks will play up!
I believe the actual issue is that a micro switch within the mechanism fails and if you’re brave enough there are YouTube videos on how to dismantle and repair these locks......
One question relating to your boot lock; does your rear wiper work OK?
The rear wiper has a design flaw in that the washer fluid pipe goes through the body of the motor itself and in time can leak and corrode the internals , sometimes causing washer fluid to leak out and drip onto the boot lock causing more problems, so eliminate that as a source of trouble before replacing a boot lock......
When the wiper motor has sustained terminal damage it often develops a life of its own , operating without it being switched on or parking the blade at funny angles and not in the normal stop position.
When you know about this problem it’s amazing the numbers of A3s etc that can be seen driving around all with rear wiper blades parked at odd angles, they’ve all got naffed wiper motors!
The only solution in these cases is a new rear wiper unit, only fit a Valeo motor as these are the factory brand and take about 10 mins to fit with 3 bolts holding it in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee Pritchard
Thanks Nessy.

I have already replaced the rear wiper motor and the boot was working fine. I guess that it was already corroded and on the way out in this case.

Anyone know where my brake light switch would be located on my Audi A3. It is defiantly not on the brake pedal it’s self. I have heard that it may be attached to the master cylinder it’s self but can’t seem to see.