approved used warranty Vs extended original warranty

quattrorally

Reaction score
Bought my 2016 S3 in January this year.

the original manufacturers warranty expires this month but since I bought from an audi dealer I also have 12 months approved used warranty included.

is there any difference between the approved warranty and extending the original warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I was lead to believe by the Dealer, I was given a 4th year as a finance incentive ( Cancelled it a week latter and paid in full =) ). When I asked to see the paperwork for it, they said it was processed at the end of the 3 years was bit suspicious so asked for that in writing which they provided. I don't know if there was a fiddle going on at there end.... Will tell you in Nov. when the 3 years is up what happens =)

I've got the approved used (I think), Audi never wrote to the previous owner (before I bought the car) when the warranty ran out. Seems good - has paid for a faulty airbag control module and a leaking thermostat housing so far this year!

The main difference, as I understand it, is that with the manufactures warranty if there is an issue then the dealers are given license to do whatever is required to fix the issue. Under the audi approved warranty the dealership have to follow the guidance of the warranty company (presumably not audi, or some rubbish side branch of audi) and run every single thing past them and be told what to do next. This means that complex issues can take weeks to resolve and the warranty company can then turn round and reject the claim meaning you have to pay for a shed load of potentially unnecessary labour. Based on this, as I have been stung by it, I would infer that the extended manufactures is better than the approved warranty.

I have the Audi extended warranty, as the work I had done went smoothly and it covers all mechanical and electrical issues (other than wear and tear items of course). So far has paid for itself many times over; at least over £2,000 worth of work done for several monthly payments of £66!

The main difference, as I understand it, is that with the manufactures warranty if there is an issue then the dealers are given license to do whatever is required to fix the issue. Under the audi approved warranty the dealership have to follow the guidance of the warranty company (presumably not audi, or some rubbish side branch of audi) and run every single thing past them and be told what to do next.

Are you saying the warranty for used cars that audi dealerships provide is third party??

I don't know, but every time I discussed anything claim related with the dealership they always referred to them as "the warranty company"

Aren’t there 3 warranty “types”? Normal 3yr, 1 or 2 year extended for the 4th & 5th year, and then Audi used approved warranty? And even then I think the extra 4th and 5th year warranty is different if bought from new opposed to the warranty being bought near your 4th year.

The main difference, as I understand it, is that with the manufactures warranty if there is an issue then the dealers are given license to do whatever is required to fix the issue. Under the audi approved warranty the dealership have to follow the guidance of the warranty company (presumably not audi, or some rubbish side branch of audi) and run every single thing past them and be told what to do next. This means that complex issues can take weeks to resolve and the warranty company can then turn round and reject the claim meaning you have to pay for a shed load of potentially unnecessary labour. Based on this, as I have been stung by it, I would infer that the extended manufactures is better than the approved warranty.
Not quite correct as any work under the manufacturer warranty has to be approved by Audi...

Yes you are right the work still needs final approval but they trust the dealers to do what is necessary in order to complete a fix, rather than this hand holding rubbish which goes on under the approved warranty. This is what the dealership told me (unless they were lying).

Well I have the approved warranty (extended manufacturer's warranty perhaps? It was taken out a few months after the manufacturer's warranty ran out when the previous owner complained that they hadn't been contacted about extending it prior to 3 years elapsing) and Hatfield Audi carried out the work and from they told me, they would take the excess from me and claim the rest from Audi, so none of this hand-holding business.

Well I have the approved warranty (extended manufacturer's warranty perhaps? It was taken out a few months after the manufacturer's warranty ran out when the previous owner complained that they hadn't been contacted about extending it prior to 3 years elapsing) and Hatfield Audi carried out the work and from they told me, they would take the excess from me and claim the rest from Audi, so none of this hand-holding business.

Be careful as if for example, I have an A3 and extend the warranty when the car is 3yrs old, and i extend it for an extra 2yrs, thus covering the yrs 4 and 5, the warranty ISNT transferable to a new owner. It is to that owner and the car together. If the warranty is bought for 5yrs at the point of buying the car new, then the warranty IS transferable.

The owner spoke to them to transfer ownership and they said it can't be done, needs to be stopped and then I can purchase again, however as a claim was made there would be no refund so we've kept in previous owner's name until it runs out (and I'm reimbursing monthly payments), when it runs out (soon) I'll take it out in my own name as per their instructions

Reactions: Ormesome
The owner spoke to them to transfer ownership and they said it can't be done, needs to be stopped and then I can purchase again, however as a claim was made there would be no refund so we've kept in previous owner's name until it runs out (and I'm reimbursing monthly payments), when it runs out (soon) I'll take it out in my own name as per their instructions

Good to see your clued up! most dont know these little ins and outs! :icon thumright:

Haha well I work in insurance so that helps, plus going by their own guidance ;)

That's good to know. I was thinking of getting an extended warranty prior to selling mine but now i know its a waste of time / money

That's good to know. I was thinking of getting an extended warranty prior to selling mine but now i know its a waste of time / money

I also thought this when selling as it’s quite a good selling point. But it’s invalid unless bought from new. Shame. You can always buy and pay monthly as then when you sell it you just stop paying/cancel the policy. If you take out any claims you have to pay for the whole year though.

Reactions: Damo S
resurrecting this thread.

my warranty expired 30 days ago, and have been meaning to renew it and saw a quote on the extended warranty site for 350 ish quid just a few days ago.

i never got round to it, and it's now 32 days since the warranty expired and the quote has rocketed to 750+ for my S5. is there anything i can do ?

Sadly I don’t think so.

The sweet spot is +/- 30 days from expiry.

You could check if they are doing any offers on their ‘all-in-one’ which includes services & MOTs.

Sadly I don’t think so.

The sweet spot is +/- 30 days from expiry.

You could check if they are doing any offers on their ‘all-in-one’ which includes services & MOTs.
thanks for the reply, devastating :(

bit the bullet and have now paid over double the original quote.

unfortunately, the all in service + warranty plans don't cover engines bigger than 2.0 litre.

this time of year is rough for me on this car, insurance+MOT+warranty+service all due, and having to pay even more on warranty because of a stupid "if days_since_expiry > 30 days" statement is really annoying. oh well, it could be worse.

Does anyone know if the price for renewal will drop back down next year when I'm within 30 days of expiry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk