What Official Test/Paperwork Is Required For Putting A Cat S Vehicle Back On The Road

Steve-B

Reaction score
HI all

Despite only having very minimal suspension damage and a small dent, our lovely A3 Quattro was recently declared a category S total loss due to a very overzealous repair quote of £3600 from the insurers bodyshop!!!

Anyway, we've bought it back and Im just changing over a couple of parts to get her back on the road again.

My question is: What, if any official test/s do we need to get to be able to legally put the car back on the road again? A couple of people have told me that all I need to do is get a fresh MOT and we're good to go, surely that can't be right can it? That sounds pretty crazy if that's true, as how has the quality of the repair been certified?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

A quick Google says need to be re register with DVLA I would ring them for the best info also take pictures of it all for when you come to sell you can prove what the damaged was etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well earlier today I managed to speak to somebody at the DVSA (formerly VOSA) and he confirmed to me that there is no legal requirement or any official test for a vehicle that has been put back on the road after it has been declared a category S or N total loss.

It's entirely dependent upon which insurer you use as to what, if any, paperwork they require to allow the car to be insured again immediately after it has been repaired. This would usually be in the form of a fresh MOT or sometimes an independent engineers report.

Hopefully others will find this information useful too!

Reactions: MuPPeT_ON_TouR, V6_Man and martin1984