Availability of 50 TDI and 45 TDI engines in UK?

psychopomp1

Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know if/when the 50 TDI and 45 TDI A4 engines (3.0 286 & 3.0 231 PSI versions respectively as shown on audi.de) will be released in the UK anytime soon? Some car buying websites such as coast2coast already list the 50 TDI version for sale yet nothing on Audi UK website. Also when i called my local dealer (Highland Audi) they weren't sure if the 3.0 TDI engines would be released anytime soon as they haven't been approved by the "UK regulatory bodies yet". Any pointers as to what's going on with the higher powered diesels?

Cheers

Sounds like they been through the wltp tests and just awaiting the UK to register them, possibly similar to type approval. In the delayed to wltp thread some of the orders were delayed at the ports awaiting this but it didn't take very long. Although there might be a backlog...

Reactions: psychopomp1
Hi

Does anyone know if/when the 50 TDI and 45 TDI A4 engines (3.0 286 & 3.0 231 PSI versions respectively as shown on audi.de) will be released in the UK anytime soon? Some car buying websites such as coast2coast already list the 50 TDI version for sale yet nothing on Audi UK website. Also when i called my local dealer (Highland Audi) they weren't sure if the 3.0 TDI engines would be released anytime soon as they haven't been approved by the "UK regulatory bodies yet". Any pointers as to what's going on with the higher powered diesels?

Cheers
I have a 286 A5 but its not branded as the 50 engine. 68 plate.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Trivia - In my still unsuccessful quest to understand how the 2019 SQ5 50 TDI 3.0 V6 has, not only 5kw less than its 55 TFSI 3.0 petrol mate, but a staggering 700nm (which, if it was not 4WD, is considered by the consensus of world-wide auto engineers to be the safe torque limit for a rear wheel drive only drivetrain), I read an interesting fact about this mild-hybrid diesel. Early A8's & early A6's were quoting 600nm. In 2018 model year, these & now A4's are quoting 620nm. A simple tweak of the ECU? Absolutely not! The engine went through extensive development work within the block itself, for strengthening, reliability and durability.
Typical internet - if I could only find the article. Grrrrr!!!

Absolute Trivia - my friend showed me his latest drive car for the week-end, brand spankers GBP 375k Bentley GT, 600m laser headlights, 10 pot front calipers on discs as big as our wheels, the works. He pulled the bonnet catch, typical British, from the passenger's side (Oz is RHD), and lifted it to reveal this massive 6.0 V12. One can't fit their hand down beside the engine, it's packed that tight. Oh yes, there are turbos, but located at the front under the engine bay.
Why is this relevant to this section of the forum? The safety catch one slides to actually lift the bonnet is identical to our lowly S4!!!!

Last edited:
I see there appears to be no 3.0 TDI (286 ps) engine in the MY20 lineup. Does that mean Audi have scrapped the top end tdi as there wasn’t even this engine in the MY19 lineup?

I see there appears to be no 3.0 TDI (286 ps) engine in the MY20 lineup. Does that mean Audi have scrapped the top end tdi as there wasn’t even this engine in the MY19 lineup?
I think I read somewhere there's a 45tdi coming and it looks like the 50tdi has been dropped on the A4 probably as it's to close performance wise to the new s4 3.0tdi

Hi

Cheers

They have definately approved the 50TDI in the UK as several of us had ordered the 50TDI on both the A4 and A5 last year and recieved our cars around April time.

Yes I have seen the 50tdi on the 1st facelift but not sure if it's on this latest facelift what's coming out?

I spoke with Blackburn Audi who assured me there was a 50TDI A4 Quattro due for ordering in December. I'd like to think she wasn't making it up given I said I wouldn't have another Audi unless it was a 3.0 TDI Quattro. She said that it would likely appear on the site before dealers knew about it. Talk about an **** about face way of doing things. Surely you'd want the people sellling your cars to know. I'm guessing and just going off the A6 for a rough pricing guide but I'd expect it to add at least another £2k on top of the 2.0TDI Quattro.