PLEASE HELP! Car Cuts out at 3K revs

Zen_A4

Reaction score
Hi, I hope everyone is well, I have been having a very strange issue with my car and I’m hoping someone may be able to help by sharing past experiences etc.

My car (2009 A4 2.0tdi CAGA) drives perfect up to 3K revs, turbo kicks in as normal and picks up speed as it should in all gears BUT as soon as I come close to 3K revs engine stops responding, sounds as though it has hit some sort of restriction and it can’t get past it, after this if I accelerate the car doesn’t respond and starts slowing down the only way I can get the car to respond is by dipping my clutch and releasing it, after this the car is normal again (as long as stay below 3K revs). No warning lights are triggered and no code is detected with snap on computers.

I had the car scanned by a mechanic who has vag.com and he told me a crankshaft sensor error was coming up but he said he doesn’t think that’s the issue and that he thinks it may be a faulty injector, but I’ve had faulty injectors in the past and it never displayed these symptoms so I’m stuck as to what it may be.

Logically if its got a sensor error, fix this 1st then retest.

Logically if its got a sensor error, fix this 1st then retest.

Thanks for the reply!
To be honest with you that was exactly what I thought, I’ve already got a new sensor but I thought I’d check if anyone else has had a similar issue.

I’ve just had the flywheel and clutch changed so I took advantage of the gearbox being out and had the crankshaft sensor changed as well...but the problem is still there ! No codes logged either, has anyone suffered these symptoms before?

I’ve just had the flywheel and clutch changed so I took advantage of the gearbox being out and had the crankshaft sensor changed as well...but the problem is still there ! No codes logged either, has anyone suffered these symptoms before?
Clogged DPF maybe? Clogged EGR? (although I'm no diesel expert and on thin ice here ...)

Clogged DPF maybe? Clogged EGR? (although I'm no diesel expert and on thin ice here ...)
Lol that makes 2 of us! Thank you for the reply, DPF has been removed and EGR deleted but I will still get EGR checked just to eliminate this.

Might be a bum steer, but I'm sure I have read someplace that somebody else got it coded out but the flappy/valve bit was not fully closed and caused running problems.

Think you need to blank them also. Cut a bit from a drinks can will do it's what I used on my Mondeo ST Tdci when I had it.

Sorry if wrong.

Might be a bum steer, but I'm sure I have read someplace that somebody else got it coded out but the flappy/valve bit was not fully closed and caused running problems.

Think you need to blank them also. Cut a bit from a drinks can will do it's what I used on my Mondeo ST Tdci when I had it.

Sorry if wrong.
Thank you very much for the reply mate, tbh it’s been running like this for last 3 years with no issues (EGR coded out), this issue only started a short while ago BUT I will still check the valve this weekend!