First time using the DA

Janice_3S3

Reaction score
Ok so I used the menzerna 3800... was going to get 3500 but thought I didn’t need it?

Looks GREAT in day light but have noticed swirls at night under street light... advice?

I’m worried about keeping going on it, but is it that bad to maybe hit it again with the 3800?? Or is it not too harsh or what?

APR Stage 2+

Day light pics:
4773b1b6bc54e3cc977b270605ee590a.jpg
6e7c34a1428d349b11f3063b53e7e84e.jpg

APR Stage 2+

Reactions: oli356
Did you clay first?
Claying makes a massive difference prior to polishing.
Last time I whizzed over with the machine polisher I didn't clay first because I was pushed for time and the results were no where near as good as the time previous when I clayed first, (bilt hamber) then polished with menzerma 3/800 on a yellow pad.
Granted I waxed aswell but basically, put the time in, and it payed off rather than one wham bam thank you ma'am

Reactions: Raiden and Janice_3S3
Right oh. Yes I Clayed with a super fine mit... maybe not abrasive enough .

I was pushed for time as I don’t have a garage yet so was outdoor, and due to weather, wind was due to pick up the next day so only had the one day to sort it.

It’s to be a good day tomorrow so might give it a wee blast again. I’ve the paint reader there so I’ll check it again prior, then decide.

This will be the second time it’s been done, but first time by DA. Had it done about 4 years ago professionally by rotary. Paint readings are fine so like I say, have a second read tomorrow after it’s bath then see lol.

Defo need the garage up ASAP then I’ll be able to see what the score is with the right lighting.

:thumbsup:

APR Stage 2+

Reactions: CHEZ
Aah OK, don't be too keen tho, temps really need to be 15c plus for polish and wax etc to work nice.

Reactions: NevMan and Janice_3S3
Menzerna 3800 has a slight cut to it that's why you still swirls on the paint, 3800 is best used 3 times a year for a wee spruce up, 3500 has a little more cut than 3800 but still not enough to remove all the swirls because you need go heavier initially, did you use the blue Hex Logic pad?
My advice is Go Sonax profiline perfect finish a 250 ml along with the Green Hex Logic pads and watch Sepang Come to life
Claying makes no difference to the finish after machine polishing, just make sure you've detoxed the lower parts of the car

Reactions: Janice_3S3, Sandra and NevMan
[QUOTE="jassyo06, post: 3410777, member: 75985"
Claying makes no difference to the finish after machine polishing, [/QUOTE]

Hmmmm interesting
I have always been led to believe claying a surface first removes foreign bodies and projections stuck to the paint.
So removing said projections means that when you polish afterwards, you are actually polishing flat against the surface, v unclayed, when polishing would just take the tops off the stuck on foreign bodies and not achieve full contact when polishing.
You can feel it with your hand when a car has been clayed.
Super smooth.
Imo this is only the best time to polish as you will have more chance of removing slight swirls that can be seen under lights..
And yeah,, maybe up the grade of polish up 1 to give more bite initially.
Just my opinion obviously

Reactions: NevMan
[QUOTE="jassyo06, post: 3410777, member: 75985"
Claying makes no difference to the finish after machine polishing,

Hmmmm interesting
I have always been led to believe claying a surface first removes foreign bodies and projections stuck to the paint.
So removing said projections means that when you polish afterwards, you are actually polishing flat against the surface, v unclayed, when polishing would just take the tops off the stuck on foreign bodies and not achieve full contact when polishing.
You can feel it with your hand when a car has been clayed.
Super smooth.
Imo this is only the best time to polish as you will have more chance of removing slight swirls that can be seen under lights..
And yeah,, maybe up the grade of polish up 1 to give more bite initially.
Just my opinion obviously[/QUOTE]

Paint condition prior to machine polishing should be at acceptable standard l admit but Claying a car is optional depending on the condition of the paint but it will not help to remove swirls or scratches when using a machine polisher , l have never had any cause to use a clay bar, l keep the paint at acceptable level so it doesn't require one, using a fallout remover plus a Tar remover is all ever use
Sepang Blue has a hard clear coat like most Audi paints so the use of a certain polishing pad to correct it is a must as is the compound Menzerna 3800 and 3500 are basically gloss enhancing compounds which will only correct minor light scratches or remove marring caused by improper washing or poor application of a wax or Sealant etc etc

Reactions: NevMan and CHEZ
I here ya.
My car is parked in an industrial estate while at work so obviously gets a lot of fall out shat upon it.
Everybody has a different situation depending upon the environment there car is left.
Obviously mine must encounter a lot of air born crud,, grrrrr.

Reactions: Janice_3S3
I here ya.
My car is parked in an industrial estate while at work so obviously gets a lot of fall out shat upon it.
Everybody has a different situation depending upon the environment there car is left.
Obviously mine must encounter a lot of air born crud,, grrrrr.

Agree with that. My step son got a corsa a few months ago, so I did a full decon on it. Had lots of tree sap on the roof, bonnet and sides that refused to come off with tar remover or iron out etc etc. All that worked was a clay bar with glide. Came up a treat, and as it was late last year haven’t even polished yet.

1d4c060f116e5852b07172e7216e57f6.jpg

531d7a5a0194fd5e490f84378dfcd7a8.jpg

f88ead08dc7ae1a8e19481b07e09c9b6.jpg

790fe43de801d825651234c8866c26be.jpg

Reactions: Janice_3S3 and CHEZ