Uprated intercooler

Leevr

Reaction score
Has anyone gone to the bother of fitting an uprated intercooler on stage 1? Was thinking APR. Is there any real advantage or power gain on fitting one over and above the power gain for a stage 1 remap. I've already got the R600, turbo technics hose and turbo muffler delete.

I would assume it would help as the cooler would flow better and have more capacity.

I would assume it would help as the cooler would flow better and have more capacity.
I'm just curious as what I've read says extra horse power, intake set up says extra horse power. The remap is a given value. If adding an intake set up and intercooler gives a theoretic 20bhp. Is this over and above the stated remap figure? If so is it not on the doorstep of stage 2?

Reactions: MikeParkin
I'm just curious as what I've read says extra horse power, intake set up says extra horse power. The remap is a given value. If adding an intake set up and intercooler gives a theoretic 20bhp. Is this over and above the stated remap figure? If so is it not on the doorstep of stage 2?

What I would say is every little helps mate, with custom mapping the car is mapped with what bolt ons are added to the car.

If you put a full system on a car then restrictions are taken away so more power is given etc. The same as coolers and intakes etc they will all give something but it may not be a big change until mapping is done.

Stage maps are slightly different as it’s a set power but the same principle would apply I would imagine.

Reactions: Leevr

I think too much man math or max power math going on.
Example
Filter/intake 20bhp
Intercooler 20bhp
Exhaust 10bhp
Remap 50bhp

The man in me would think that all those mods will give me 100bhp where as in reality you would get 60-70bhp if you are lucky.
The parts work with each other to create a better outcome but does not give you the combined extra bhp. A filter might give 20bhp on its own and inter cooler 20bhp on its own but combined will be 25 as some of the extra benefits of individual parts are negated by the other.
Intercooler on its own will give lower charge temps so should give a bit more bhp. However an uprated intercooler has more volume so by default will increase turbo lag to a point as the turbo needs to fill more air to achieve boost in the manifold. This is where the filter comes in making easier to suck air in so will negate that lag so as a combo it works better than on its own.
Hope that makes sense

I had a Wagner fitted on stage 1 for prep before going stage 2
Managed an 11.7 in 30c heat last summer at pod tbh I never noticed much difference as I already had a strong stage 1 car 404 bhp with intake turbo muffler delete and tt intake hose and got 414 later in the year with cooler on
I'm now stage 2 making much the same bhp but much more tourqe

Last edited:
I had a Wagner fitted on stage 1 for prep before going stage 2
Managed an 11.7 in 30c heat last summer at pod tbh I never noticed much difference as I already had a strong stage 1 car 404 bhp with intake turbo muffler delete and tt intake hose and got 414 later in the year with cooler on
I'm now stage 2 making much the same bhp but much more tourqe
404bhp on a stage 1 is a phenomenal figure. I think on top of all my other prep bits an intercooler, probably Wagner as it's now been mentioned a couple of three times so far. Is it a DIY fit. Have you got aftermarket intercooler pipework?

I had it fitted by ecotune/my tuner on facelift s3 there is some trimming required for the fit compared to the likes of apr which fits straight in.
I have fitted a cts turbo outlet pipe since and was planning on throttle pipe after that but after looking at the flow of the throttle 1 it dont look to bad and the cut hands doing the first put me off lol.I would deffo recommend doing pipes at time of intercooler and be much less painfull tbh if your going that route

I have all the cts pipe work and the Wagner, I’m not sure if you still change the radiator to the older version (I did). I did this myself, there is a bit of trimming to do but with a bit of patience it’s no issue.

I went for a Wagner in the end. Cost was the same fitted as it would have been to buy the APR. Being fitted along side my clutch and remap.

Reactions: Marky-s3 and MikeParkin