Hammerite alternative for rusty hubs?

Oreo5000

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've seen a lot of recommendations for Hammerite when it comes to painting rusty hubs but I was wondering if anyone has used any alternatives? Hammerite looks a little too glossy/satin to me, ideally I'm looking to paint them matte black so they dont detract from the wheels. Any example would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: NevMan
Hi all,

I've seen a lot of recommendations for Hammerite when it comes to painting rusty hubs but I was wondering if anyone has used any alternatives? Hammerite looks a little too glossy/satin to me, ideally I'm looking to paint them matte black so they dont detract from the wheels. Any example would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

@45bvtc - POR15???

Reactions: 45bvtc

And/or https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/show-us-your-beading-shots.224955/page-18#post-3416131

Post #704 - Semi-matt black Technik Self-Etch Primer (E-Tech Technik Self-Etch Primer)

Tonkas rear brake discs

Reactions: NevMan and V6_Man
Reactions: NevMan and 45bvtc
Personally I would not use a primer as a base coat, I would always over coat with a 2K base (that will give you a matt finish), also that way you could pick your own colour, and once fully hardened it will produce a good durable finish, unlike primers as they are a 1K product and easily removed with solvent like brake cleaner.

Also would recommend Por 15 products, they are not cheap but do a very good job. You can get them from frost.

Thanks! So that's just the primer? Can you get a tin for brush application or is it spray only?

To be truthful I've just left it alone for now and it looks good - we don't want it tooooo shiny; that said I did my A1 rear discs the same and then applied a clear lacquer over and them hubs stayed spotless all over the winter: cars gone now so I can't show you much but for sure my summer rims for the SQ5 will be back tomorrow so when I change 'em over I'll take some photos and post.

Note, I paint the vents too: here's my RS3, 6-years on with the MTEC rear discs:

RS3 rear disc

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Glad you mention the word 'detract' , some have got it half right , but the use of silver does detract
( highlight ) away from the heavenly glory of the party piece alloys .

As for satin or gloss , these soon become matt effect with a thin covering of brake dust .

Hammerite black - go for it .

Reactions: Oreo5000, Jassyo06 and NevMan
And/or https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/show-us-your-beading-shots.224955/page-18#post-3416131

Post #704 - Semi-matt black Technik Self-Etch Primer (E-Tech Technik Self-Etch Primer)

OK, here we are, summer rims back on - two having been to JP Alloys for some TLC: note the vents and hubs done; also, I may yet overcoat the hubs but hey, only had the darn thing 2-weeks :yahoo::

Fronts:

SQ5 front disc hub acid etch

and rears:

SQ5 rear disc hub acid etch

Note: I painted the rear disc shield with POR15 gloss black - but it just didn't look good on the hubs!
At the front, the disc shield is plastic, yea!!! Audi GmbH are learning the benefits of using plastics in appropriate places at last.... :readit:

Reactions: Scotty75, Gazwould and NevMan
My short term solution will be the spray, long term will be the new discs

ce1c471821115413a9b76e45fbc70a6d.jpg
cd425ff0fb96323c5f052e1dcc83c7e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My short term solution will be the spray, long term will be the new discs
emoji16.png

ce1c471821115413a9b76e45fbc70a6d.jpg
cd425ff0fb96323c5f052e1dcc83c7e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

EBC discs are well prepared but an extra 'clear' coat does help...

I’m sure screwfix sell it but I’ll have a look.