Are Audi dealers becoming car supermarkets?

Nige Smith

Reaction score
I'm currently looking for a FL S3, & had some correspondence with a salesman at a dealer within the Inchcape group over a '66 plate car. As the branch was 50 miles away I asked him to give me a part ex figure on my GTi. He gave me a reasonable offer but nothing special & has refused to move on the S3's price as it's Inchcape 'policy' not to negotiate on used stock! Is this a thing now? I'd expect that from a car supermarket but not a franchised dealer!

I get the dealers is 50 miles away but I would take the chance and go see the car and haggle for a better deal , and if he won't budge ask to see the sales manager and say you want to deal but only if you get a better price for trade in.
Is there not an inchcape garage nearer where you stay you could get the car brought over for you to see ?

That offer is from his manager! I suppose I’m just surprised at the lack of willingness to get me in front of the car & have a chat! Almost as if he’s doing me a favour having a car for sale that I’m interested in. When I’ve tried to contact him by phone to chat it just rings & rings without anyone picking up, pretty poor from any business if you ask me. I’ve left my offer with him, so we’ll see if he wants to sell the car or not.

Write /e mail the CEO of the company and complain about the lack of service given and ask if this is normal company policy of the Inchape group , It may not be any good but maybe they will get a rocket and provide better service .

When I bought my S5 from a dealer ship it was the same over the phone.

You need to turn up and show you are serious and ready to buy.

He wouldn't move on the price of the S5 but we got way more for my traded in A4 that it was worth when we sat down face to face and started to haggle.

Beginning of the month isn't it.
I bet they change there tune at the back end of it when there struggling to hit sales figures.

Franchises are not very good IMO
I use a private dealer with good reviews and I managed to knock a couple grand off. And the cars good... probably be going back to them.

I think repeatable private dealerships can be better. Just read up on them first.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Agree that you should go in to the dealership,
Once they see your car they will be able to give you the most accurate value.
You will want to see and drive the car you are interested in anyway and this will also give you a chance to meet the sales person and see if you can reach an agreement.
I respect the fact that there is always another car on the market but each used car is individual in its condition, mileage and history so it is impossible to tell what deal you are getting until you view the car, the front end might have been poorly painted for example.
Dealerships do have different pricing policies, some build in an over allowance that can be added to a stand in value (the true value regardless of who owns the car) and others don't, the change over cost is what matters.