Wheel advice

ab1702

Reaction score
Just want to get opinions on what I should be looking for when buying new wheels.
I currently have the BBS speedline split rims which are 18, 7 or 7.5 wide with et54 offset.
One of them is bent/buckled and is beyond repair (waiting on a 2nd repairers opinion). If so I’m either buying a 2nd hand replacement wheel or possibly buying all new wheels (I’d be more likely to buy new wheels as the split rims are a pain in the backside when it comes to getting them refurbished).

The only problem with the split rims is they sit quite far inside the wheel arch so I’d like some that stick out more so they’re more inline with the wing/arch. If I were to buy new, would people recommend looking for a smaller ET measurement and a wider wheel or just one or the other? I’m wanting to stay with 18” wheels, the car is an S Line sportback Quattro with standard shocks and eibach pro springs.
Thanks

I would say stick with an ET off 44 or a bit bigger , I run 44 on my S3 and they look flush with Arch all round , with 18" ( 225x40 )

If you want to line up with the arch, then it is the et you want to change.

Me, I’d get the split rims refurbished and add some spacers. Those wheels are mint. In good condition can sell for quite a bit.

I do like the wheels and I’ve just had them refurbished in gloss black and bought brand new bolts all round the wheels.
The company that did them for me, I told them one of the wheels was possibly bent so they said they would sort it at the same time during the refurb. They never did this and when I got the wheels back I took them somewhere else for the tyres putting back on (after i had put the wheels back together) and this garage showed me how bent the wheel was. When he put it on the balance machine you could clearly see the wheel was bent. I took it back to the place that did the refurb and after trying to straighten it they said it is too far gone (said the wheel is now oval instead of round), I have now took it to someone else and if this guy also says it’s beyond repair then I either need a replacement or some new wheels.
It’s annoying though as if the original company had have told me the wheel was beyond repair in the first place then I wouldn’t have gone ahead with the refurb.
I’m also considering new wheels now because every time it comes to a refurb there is always a bolt that snaps during splitting and/or there is always a thread or 2 that needs rethreading ans I just haven’t got the patience for it anymore.

The man says they are 7.5” wide. Stardard wheels are 8” so he would need ET45 to make them flush with the arches.

I have 18x8 ET45 and they are perfect. No spacers needed and no guard-rub. I was previously running 12.5mm spacers (to clear the BBK) on the factory Rotors which gave an effective ET of 42.5, the back guards rubbed and the car was on the verge of looking like a roller-skate.