Windscreen Replacement

Jimbob76

Roof Rails Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, on the way to work this morning the tiny little original Mini in front of me obviously had an inferiority complex (little man syndrome, lol) and kicked a ruddy great boulder at my windscreen. Annoying as I was just admiring it - was a nice example!

Thought I'd got away with it (bar a little stone chip in the glass), but when I came back to the car at the end of the day it had developed into a crack about a third of the height of the windscreen.

IMG 1324

In all honesty I'd rather the windscreen 'took one for the team' than my bonnet or front of roof having a dirty great chunk taken out of the paint, but I obviously need a new windscreen and have already logged a claim with my insurer, who have taken my details and I'll need to have another conversation with them tomorrow to arrange the replacement itself.

I'm already anticipating them trying to fob me off with an aftermarket windscreen rather than OEM Audi glass, so, my question is, what experience/success have people had with this 'negotiation' with their insurers? Any advice to arm me for this conversation? Where do I stand on insisting on OEM glass?

And any advice for making sure the replacement is carried out properly?

Thanks in advance folks.

Reactions: NevMan
How did it happen? The car was in front and drove away and flicked the stone up?

Think from reading replies on other threads on here people have had to pay the extra between aftermarket and the OEM glass.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimbob76
Some people get them just by asking others pay extra all depends the insurer, When mine cracked last year AXA wouldn't pay for Audi glass. I think I paid an extra £80 onto of my excess in the end can't remember. Though it was important for me and my piece of mind as I have a camera for my Matrix LED, and Lane keeping etc , this also meant I had to go to an Autoglass centre as after the windscreen was changed it had to be calibrated.

How did it happen? The car was in front and drove away and flicked the stone up?

Think from reading replies on other threads on here people have had to pay the extra between aftermarket and the OEM glass.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Just driving along in traffic pal, @ about 30 mph, and the Mini in front just threw a stone off it's rear wheels (I'm assuming, just heard the massive 'crack' as it hit). Would post the dash-cam footage, but the audio would set @Sandra 's profanity filter off big time, lol.

Some people get them just by asking others pay extra all depends the insurer, When mine cracked last year AXA wouldn't pay for Audi glass. I think I paid an extra £80 onto of my excess in the end can't remember. Though it was important for me and my piece of mind as I have a camera for my Matrix LED, and Lane keeping etc , this also meant I had to go to an Autoglass centre as after the windscreen was changed it had to be calibrated.

Cheers mate - good to know it might be an option to pay the difference if they dig their heels in. My insurance is due for renewal this coming Sunday, so that might be a negotiating tactic (or could work against me!). Will let you know how I get on. Thanks again both.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Adam14
So, on the way to work this morning the tiny little original Mini in front of me obviously had an inferiority complex (little man syndrome, lol) and kicked a ruddy great boulder at my windscreen. Annoying as I was just admiring it - was a nice example!

Thought I'd got away with it (bar a little stone chip in the glass), but when I came back to the car at the end of the day it had developed into a crack about a third of the height of the windscreen.

View attachment 181354

In all honesty I'd rather the windscreen 'took one for the team' than my bonnet or front of roof having a dirty great chunk taken out of the paint, but I obviously need a new windscreen and have already logged a claim with my insurer, who have taken my details and I'll need to have another conversation with them tomorrow to arrange the replacement itself.

I'm already anticipating them trying to fob me off with an aftermarket windscreen rather than OEM Audi glass, so, my question is, what experience/success have people had with this 'negotiation' with their insurers? Any advice to arm me for this conversation? Where do I stand on insisting on OEM glass?

Thanks in advance folks.

Can sympathise with you here.
I had a crack appear one day from what must have been a direct hit.
b592281479aaf2be1a5b1e2f5d12687a.jpg

I rang the insurance up and they authorised an OEM screen replacement.
I had to wait a week while auto glass got it into stock though.

The Auto glass fitter said he prefers the OEM glass as it fits 1st time 100%, he said customers are well within their rights to insist on an oem screen.

He said some of the Chinese replacement screens can be shocking to try to fit.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Jimbob76
Can sympathise with you here.
I had a crack appear one day from what must have been a direct hit.
b592281479aaf2be1a5b1e2f5d12687a.jpg

I rang the insurance up and they authorised an OEM screen replacement.
I had to wait a week while auto glass got it into stock though.

The Auto glass fitter said he prefers the OEM glass as it fits 1st time 100%, he said customers are well within their rights to insist on an oem screen.

He said some of the Chinese replacement screens can be shocking to try to fit.

Cheers fella - that's a useful anecdote I can use :thumbs up:

Reactions: T-800
Cheers fella - that's a useful anecdote I can use :thumbs up:

I can honestly say Auto Glass were a pleasure to deal with from start to finish.

Took an hour to fit and no damage to the car either.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Jimbob76
With AVIVA I had no problems getting genuine acoustic windscreen fitted through Autoglass . . . twice.

Referred by insurer to Autoglass. I just asked Autoglass if it would be Audi glass and they said yes. I have highbeam assist, auto wipers, tinted strip and acoustic glass. I referred to all of this and Autoglass confirmed in the phone call that they had all the details and the new glass would have all that.
The winscreen has Audi rings and Pilkington written on it.
(Insurer - Cooperative)

Reactions: Jassyo06, davc and Jimbob76
With AVIVA I had no problems getting genuine acoustic windscreen fitted through Autoglass . . . twice.

Referred by insurer to Autoglass. I just asked Autoglass if it would be Audi glass and they said yes. I have highbeam assist, auto wipers, tinted strip and acoustic glass. I referred to all of this and Autoglass confirmed in the phone call that they had all the details and the new glass would have all that.
The winscreen has Audi rings and Pilkington written on it.
(Insurer - Cooperative)

Great ammo from both of you - appreciate it. Love this forum, good fun mostly, but you lot really come through when the chips are down :thumbs up:

Reactions: Jassyo06
Well I had my 3rd screen in 4 years (4th on the car) fitted over the Easter weekend by National Windscreens.

They fitted an oem Pilkington screen (minus the Audi logo) but it's the exact same spec as the one it replaced.

I had a replacement windscreen from autoglass, arranged by my insurer.
They supplied a Pilkington screen, but it was exactly the same spec - acoustic glass, etc. Quality is just as good as the original Audi screen, in fact better, because the factory screen had a slight ripple in it, which you could see as a faint distortion, and the replacement doesn't.
The high beam assist, auto wipers and stuff all work fine.

I'm satisfied with my Pilkington screen. Given the age of your car, however, you may be in a position to argue that a factory screen would be justified as the car is still under 3 years old and under manufacturer warranty.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Just driving along in traffic pal, @ about 30 mph, and the Mini in front just threw a stone off it's rear wheels (I'm assuming, just heard the massive 'crack' as it hit). Would post the dash-cam footage, but the audio would set @Sandra 's profanity filter off big time, lol.

Cheers mate - good to know it might be an option to pay the difference if they dig their heels in. My insurance is due for renewal this coming Sunday, so that might be a negotiating tactic (or could work against me!). Will let you know how I get on. Thanks again both.
Sorry to hear about your windscreen James. Post your dash cam footage up.

Not to mention that any replacement none oem screen seems about as brittle as a tesco value champagne flute, i.e., the smallest stone hit and they just crack again.

I asked for OE glass with my insurer last year (GoSkippy) and had no problems. Didn't have to pay any extra but did have to wait a couple more days as they had to order from Audi. It was a like for like replacement, Pilkington glass with Audi rings came off and Pilkington glass with the exact same numbering and Audi rings went on.

I do find the screens on these cars very prone to damage though - I have several chips on the new one already all caused by very small stones at low speeds.

Reactions: Damo S

View attachment 181354

Thanks in advance folks.

Nightmare mate
I had my windscreen cracked during dashcam install ironically. I insisted on OEM screen (with four rings) and got it with no extra charge, just a few days more wait. Given I wasn’t paying the excess as installer of dashcam was, I didn’t care if there was a charge but as it happens there wasn’t. Went to Autoglass fitting centre for fit, so that they could calibrate pre sense camera

Reactions: Jimbob76 and T-800
Had mine replaced last October by autoglass. Paid £90 excess for like for like acoustic pilkington glass.

Did not have the audi logo on but was assured it was the same. Did a great job, took his time and replaced all the sensors.

Think one of these codes/ graphics means it is acoustic.

IMG 20190501 095639

I had mine replaced by AutoGlass a couple of years ago. It was Pilkington glass and had fewer optical abberations that the original Audi glass which was AGC.

There is a good thread on this from a few years ago. Bottom line - specify your options ie rain sensing wipers, cameras, colour of sunband and as long as it’s branded you should be fine, but do get them to change the gel pads at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nightmare mate
I had my windscreen cracked during dashcam install ironically. I insisted on OEM screen (with four rings) and got it with no extra charge, just a few days more wait. Given I wasn’t paying the excess as installer of dashcam was, I didn’t care if there was a charge but as it happens there wasn’t. Went to Autoglass fitting centre for fit, so that they could calibrate pre sense camera

How the ruddy hell did someone manage to crack the screen installing a dash cam

Reactions: NevMan
Thanks all for the sage advice - really appreciate you all taking the time to share your experiences.

Was promised a call back from my insurers today, but guess what. Nothing - and was in London town with work so didn't have the chance to follow up.

Back on it tomorrow and going to insist on Audi OEM glass, due to the fact the windscreen needing replacing is acoustic glass, has a grey sun shade band and has rain and light sensors sat behind it - so it has to be a like for like replacement. Will also be checking that the fitters will install new gel pads for the sensors - apparently that makes a difference in terms of how effective the sensors are - and it's apparently a common short cut to not fit these. Will soon find out if I have to pay any difference.

'Tis a ball-ache, but happy to wait for an OEM replacement (AGC - Asahi Glass Company), as it sounds like aftermarket glass isn't always a perfect a fit, the fitters prefer working with OEM replacements, and some aftermarket stuff out there (probably with the exception of Pilkington) can be as brittle as a Tesco value champagne flute!

Thanks again - great people, great forum :thumbs up:

Reactions: T-800 and Sandra
How the ruddy hell did someone manage to crack the screen installing a dash cam

No idea mate, and a very well known installer. Must have been when feeding cable up the trim. There were no chips or anything ahead of this. By the next day it had ran all the way down the screen.

6bd681632c3d4e8a09071e8fbb76be57.jpg

You can go directly to Autoglass who then clear it with your insurer directly using your name and reg.
Mine was done a few weeks ago and within a few days and using OEM windscreen too. No issue and no extra cost.

Reactions: NevMan, T-800 and Jimbob76
You can go directly to Autoglass who then clear it with your insurer directly using your name and reg.
Mine was done a few weeks ago and within a few days and using OEM windscreen too. No issue and no extra cost.

Yep same here.

Insurance told me to ring AG and arrange with them.
AG then liaised with them over the OEM screen.

They said it wasn’t a problem though they have to get authorisation first.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jimbob76
Yep same here.

Insurance told me to ring AG and arrange with them.
AG then liaised with them over the OEM screen.

They said it wasn’t a problem though they have to get authorisation first.

+1 or is that 2? - end up dealing directly with Autoglass and in my case took it in to fitting centre for the pre sense calibration

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jimbob76 and T-800
Update - spoke directly to Autoglass directly last Friday, and requested the original Audi (AGC) glass instead of aftermarket. They went away, got this approved with my insurer (LV=) and have confirmed today that there is no additional fee for this, just the standard excess to pay. They've ordered the glass and I have an appointment booked for next Wednesday. Just shows, if you don't ask you don't get. Result. :thumbs up:

Impressed with Autoglass so far (let's see how the fitting goes) - they did try and scare me into buying some new windscreen wipers from them (which isn't necessary), but other than that good customer service so far...

Reactions: V6_Man, Audi Bairn and NevMan
Update - spoke directly to Autoglass directly last Friday, and requested the original Audi (AGC) glass instead of aftermarket. They went away, got this approved with my insurer (LV=) and have confirmed today that there is no additional fee for this, just the standard excess to pay. They've ordered the glass and I have an appointment booked for next Wednesday. Just shows, if you don't ask you don't get. Result. :thumbs up:

Impressed with Autoglass so far (let's see how the fitting goes) - they did try and scare me into buying some new windscreen wipers from them (which isn't necessary), but other than that good customer service so far...

Nice one, I am also with LV. Whole thing was pretty painless.

Hope it goes well for you - AG arrived to replace my Scooby screen a few months ago (pre Audi!!) and the new windscreen was badly scratched so wasted a day off work ! Took 2 weeks to rebook and went ok - rubber seal fit not great initially but settled down after a month. Fitter was very courteous and efficient but didn’t have the wipers I’d paid for (mine were knackered). Took a month to get the wiper money back!!

Reactions: NevMan and Jimbob76
Hope it goes well for you - AG arrived to replace my Scooby screen a few months ago (pre Audi!!) and the new windscreen was badly scratched so wasted a day off work ! Took 2 weeks to rebook and went ok - rubber seal fit not great initially but settled down after a month. Fitter was very courteous and efficient but didn’t have the wipers I’d paid for (mine were knackered). Took a month to get the wiper money back!!

Fingers crossed I have a better experience mate. My quality control radar will be set to 11 when fitting day comes!

Reactions: NevMan and OCDaveS4
Fitting day today - OEM glass as promised, gel pad replaced, and the fitting itself went without a hitch and happy with how it's all worked out. Top marks Autoglass. Thanks again for the advice that got me to this point :thumbs up:

IMG 1343

Reactions: OCDaveS4, V6_Man, Audi Bairn and 4 others
Fitting day today - OEM glass as promised, gel pad replaced, and the fitting itself went without a hitch and happy with how it's all worked out. Top marks Autoglass. Thanks again for the advice that got me to this point :thumbs up:

View attachment 182451

Exactly same setup used when I had mine replaced.

View attachment 182451

Good to hear mate, always nervy especially when removing old screen. A bit like getting tyres changed on cherished alloys.

Good to hear mate, always nervy especially when removing old screen. A bit like getting tyres changed on cherished alloys.

They have a gadget for gently pushing out the old screen.

Winding out the left then the right once the sealant is cut from outside first.

I watched him do it.

I watched him do it.
Yeah there’s a wee video when you book online showing how their gadgets work, pretty impressive

Reactions: NevMan, Jimbob76 and T-800

I watched him do it.

This is the part that stresses me: “once sealant is cut out from outside”

Reactions: OCDaveS4
I had my windscreen replaced by autoglass, honestly you wouldn't have a clue it had been changed, it's nothing to worry about.

Reactions: davc and Audi Bairn
I don't know this for sure, but part of me thinks that because I was so insistent on having OEM glass and expected first class job, a little note was made on the 'job sheet' to say 'this one's gonna be a difficult bar-steward if we mess up the fitting' (damn right I would have been), and so put Wayne 'The Window' on it. Wayne was clearly a VERY experienced fitter - and clearly liked his motors. Out of interest as much as anything else I kept an eye on him and the process as the work was carried out. He cared about his work, respected my car and did a great job. Very impressed.

Here's the video that @Audi Bairn mentioned. Very clever kit and process for 'one man and a van'...

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn and NevMan
Special tool.

No issues.

To be fair, last one I saw replaced was a long time ago (one done a couple months ago, I dropped at fitting centre) and they used steel “floss” to break the seal along with Stanley knife

Reactions: Audi Bairn

View attachment 182451
Good to hear all went to plan and your a happy customer :icon thumright: