Fuel smell

GJS

Reaction score
1.8T 55 plate. Strong smell of fuel when stationary. Found smell to be from around fuel cap. Have changed cap, but makes no difference. No sign of any leaks on floor or under car. Definitely not from engine bay. Any ideas as to possible cause.
Regards
Gary

1.8T 55 plate. Strong smell of fuel when stationary. Found smell to be from around fuel cap. Have changed cap, but makes no difference. No sign of any leaks on floor or under car. Definitely not from engine bay. Any ideas as to possible cause.
Regards
Gary
There's a leak detection pump behind the wheel well splash guard. They can split and leak fuel vapours, a smoke test will show where the problem lies.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Hi many thanks will take a look. much appreciated
Regards
Gary

Reactions: QuattroCalum
You say no leak -however check fuel lining in the wheel arch just beyond back toward the cabin. The fuel line can rub over an extended period of time on a adjacent pinch weld and wear such that it produces a leak. If line compromised it's fuel tank out to replace.

When mine went it was shamelessly leaking fuel.

You say no leak -however check fuel lining in the wheel arch just beyond back toward the cabin. The fuel line can rub over an extended period of time on a adjacent pinch weld and wear such that it produces a leak. If line compromised it's fuel tank out to replace.

When mine went it was shamelessly leaking fuel.
Hi
Cheers for info.
When I removed wheel arch lining I found fuel cap drain hose totally blocked full of sludge & I guess spilt fuel. Blew pipe out & smell seems to have gone. Fingers Crossed.
Regards
Gary

Reactions: QuattroCalum
Hi
Cheers for info.
When I removed wheel arch lining I found fuel cap drain hose totally blocked full of sludge & I guess spilt fuel. Blew pipe out & smell seems to have gone. Fingers Crossed.
Regards
Gary
Excellent

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk