Auto lights

Toonsoldier91

It's my birthday
Reaction score
morning one and all

Just a quick one for you. Yesterday was the first time I’ve drove the car when the sun has been setting, the auto lights are set to late and to me they still seemed to turn on very early. To the point the sun was still shining.

Anyone else notice this as on my a3 with bi xenons they seemed to come on in good timing not when the sun was shining.

Hopefully it’s normal and not a issue.

Thanks

I find the auto lights are way too sensitive on this car. They want to be on except for bright sunlight. In the mornings I find I have to use them manually most of the time as I don't like them being so bright when most cars on the road are on side lights or DRLs.

They do actually work in tunnels though so suspect not a fault.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Toonsoldier91
I find the auto lights are way too sensitive on this car. They want to be on except for bright sunlight. In the mornings I find I have to use them manually most of the time as I don't like them being so bright when most cars on the road are on side lights or DRLs.

They do actually work in tunnels though so suspect not a fault.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks buddy. I’ll just leave it if it’s normal. I don’t travel often at that time anyways so shouldn’t be much of a issue

We used to have a 2013 fiesta that when the headlamps were set to auto they came on during the day, yet under the same conditions my A4 didn't, so they aren't more sensitive at all just doing what they've been programmed to do. All auto headlamps have sensors that detect the ambient light however, like many automated systems, they can never replace the more complex human eye and brain, in other words they can't think and they can't see.
Just set them to late and don't worry about them other than, when in foggy conditions, you may need to turn them on manually...

The system uses data from the rear view mirror light detector (rear facing) as well to decide if it's a sunset or sunrise condition and sticks the lights on . Depending on your direction of travel it can make a big difference for those around you. Sometimes the lights are on so others can see you rather than for you to be able to see .

Reactions: cuke2u
The system uses data from the rear view mirror light detector (rear facing) as well to decide if it's a sunset or sunrise condition and sticks the lights on . Depending on your direction of travel it can make a big difference for those around you. Sometimes the lights are on so others can see you rather than for you to be able to see .

Makes sense. Maybe more sensitive due to the rear window tints

Mine, though set to late like yours, definitely come on much earlier than necessary. That seems to be the way Audi have set them up so I wouldn't give it another thought.