a3 1.8t CDAA oil consumption

StefanS

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Im an owner of A3 1.8 with CDAA engine , my oil consumption is around 800-1100 for 1000km
after searching in forums i found some threads about swapping the piston rings to BZB engine piston rings and it might help with the oil consumption.
Did you guys have any issue with oil consumption? what was the problem? does some swapped the piston rings with BZB engine piston rings?
any ideas?
with scanning tool there are no errors in engine or any other part of the vehicle .

Hi @StefanS - yes oil consumption was a big issue with the 1.8tfsi. I think it was isolated to certain years but Audi ended up replacing a lot of engines (or rebuilding) due to it. Google will give plenty of info but there is also posts on the forum here.

From memory, I think Audi were saying about 1l/1000miles was expected...

Before my current S3 I had an 09 A3 1.8 tfsi and it didn’t use a drop over a couple of 000k Miles. Maybe just lucky.

Do a search and see if you can find about info to contact Audi.

yea now i have the same audi as you had before.
i googled it and found a lot of opinions.

from this weekedn :
400 km for 1l of oil ... T_T
any ideas?

Try a thicker oil first, its a cheap thing to try. I run 5/50 :) it must be smoking like a steam train at 3.5lt 1000 miles ?

I used shell 5w-40
I never saw 5w-50 here in Israel o_O
paddy what firm you will recommend?

It would be interesting to do a compression test on it but bottom line is you have a serious problem, more than just the usual CDAA problems

what should i expect if i do comression test?
by the way no dtc in vehicle no power loss

I dont know anything about this engine but if its not leaving a smoke screen then you have to wonder where the oil is going, are you sure its not blowing it out as you go along ? Crank case compression due to a stuck breather or the like ?

when im switching to S mode and accelrating fast there a lot black smoke .(while in regulard D mode its smokes when accelrating(~4-5k revs)and then it stops . no smoke on idle mode . bought the car a month ago

Hi in any case heres the sound from engine if it may help