S4 crankcase breather system

s4mark

Reaction score
Have a potential issue with the pcv / breather system on my S4 that seems to be over pressurising the left bank of the engine.
Have fitted a new pcv and cleaned out associated pipework etc which has helped but hasn't solved the issue.
Has anyone removed and cleaned the breather unit on the inside of their valve cover? If so, is it a fine mesh in there or a plate with a few holes in it?
If so, is it just a case of cleaning and then bolting it back to the valve cover along with some fresh rtv? I really wish I had removed it and cleaned it when I changed a leaky valve cover gasket a few months ago but was rushing to reassemble it all as the car needed to be back on the road the next day and time was short.
I'm assuming that all b6 models will have a similar unit inside the valve cover regardless of engine size so any help or advice will be great from anyone who has attempted this.

As far as I remember there is a metal plate that is riveted on to the underside of the valve cover, what's underneath the metal plate, I don't know.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Mine as far as I remember was held in place with around 6 torx screws and what appeared to be some type or sealant, I'm assuming just an rtv. I should have just had a go at removing it when the valve cover was off before. Will probably just order another gasket kit and remove it again to check its clear

Reactions: QuattroCalum