Import and tax on items form the USA.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As in the title chaps, I was looking to buy a piece of bodywork for the old bus from across the pond but duty & tax is a tad off putting .
Any suggestions on what the total will be on a £600 item.
Well the item is £584.00 inc shipping to the UK but that doesn't factor in duty and vat @20% added to the final amount.
Any info on the subject would be good.

Not sure if this helps but I imported stuff from Japan last month. Goods cost me £150 and import tax was £37

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

All depends on what the item is aswell as theres different rates of duty.

I buy a lot of aircraft tools from USA and rates can vary massively between new items and used ones and also what the item total cost is "declared" as being.

I imported a body kit from an Audi main dealer in the US back in 2011, at that time it was just 8.5% tax on auto parts from the US to UK, now it’s 20% on pretty much everything outside of the EU and in your case 2.5% duty on top. You will also pay an admin/collection fee charged by the courier who will process the tax payments on behalf of HMRC, this is typically between £10-£25 depending on carrier.

If it’s possible for the sender to declare a lower value when sending, then you will of course pay less VAT in total but the drawback is if the item is lost or damaged then you will only be compensated up to the amount stated on the declaration.