Problem with steering and quattro

S3 Dom

Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought a 2002 S3 with an AMK engine. The problem I have is that the steering wheel is hard to turn, does not return to centre by itself, and when on full lock the wheels occasionally lock up. I have only driven the car on/off the driveway. I have bought a second hand steering angle sensor and yaw sensor just in case when I was picking up some intake and pcv hoses. I also bought a diff and haldex controller just in case because it was cheap. Power steering fluid is a little dirty but the level is ok. I dont know where the best place to start is and if there are any tests I can do.

1st thing to do is scan it for fault codes that should always be 1st port of call. A faulty Haldex will give a fault code if scanned but nothing in the dash

I've scanned it for fault codes and it returns the following codes: P0036, P0136 and P300. These codes relate to 02 sensors and a misfire. However there is an ESP light on the dash (triangle with exclamation mark inside and a round arrow around the triangle)

If you have the ESP light on and only those codes I would suggest getting it scanned with VCDS as there is clearly something else that whatever code reader you are using is not picking up

If steering wheel is hard to turn then there is something up with the rack or hydraulics... first port of call would be to replace the fluid... not unusual for the pumps to go

<tuffty/>

I will check the rack and hydraulics maybe tomorrow. And I used a rather cheap Bluetooth OBDII scanner. I will have a look if anyone near me offers a VCDS scan service.

Reactions: <tuffty/>