Passenger seat airbag ignitor problem

Daveyonthemove

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've had a light on the dash and the following fault code for a couple of weeks now but only just had the time and weather to take a look at it:
15 Airbag

System description: Airbag 9.41 H12
Software number: 8P0959655H
Software version: 3720
Hardware number: 8P0959655H
Serial number: 0037W0G0GA64
Coding: 0071612

Trouble codes:
01218 - Side airbag igniter, frt. pass. side Upper limit exceeded
Active

We've removed the seat and checked all wiring, and soldered a previous join in the wires with crimps.
Sadly the fault still remains so we suspect it may need a new airbag ignitor.
Has anyone done this before or know the part number for a new one?

Make sure its not to much solder as that adds resistance, check the circuit all through the seat to make sure its got continuity.

Reactions: vag-tech and Daveyonthemove
Dave, check behind the rear seat cover. I had the same issue for ages, did everything you did but it still wouldn’t clear.

Turned out there was a connector behind the seat cover. Cleaned the connectors used a cable tie to hold the connection together. Fault cleared and never came back.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Dave, check behind the rear seat cover. I had the same issue for ages, did everything you did but it still wouldn’t clear.

Turned out there was a connector behind the seat cover. Cleaned the connectors used a cable tie to hold the connection together. Fault cleared and never came back.
Is the seat cover easy to remove without mucking up the finish on the seats?

They can be really stiff. Mine were.

There are 2 or 3 (can’t remember) located towards the top. I just gave it a firm tug and popped it out. The connector was at the bottom of the seat back.

When I had this issue all of my research never mentioned this connector.

Iirc no screws of any type. Just 2 or 3 sprung prongs that are fixed into the seat back that push into the seat.

I’ll try and find some pics. If you have and trim removal tools that are quite wide they would help with leverage.

783FDE6E 0D28 463F B870 30557BD49C42

Like this. Sorry about the poor image

Finally got around to removing the seat rear cover and checking the connector.
It looked fine but I disconnected it and reconnected it firmly and re-applied the seat back. Run fault scan and cleared all faults and it has not returned.
Thanks for the help, I would have never have solved this without that nugget of info!

Happy days.

It took me 18 months to clear mine until I pulled the back off to have a peek. No mention of the connector anywhere.

It’s easy to damage or tear the rear plastic seat cover. Lever from the top edge with a wide peice of wood and your hands at the same time and will pop off. The clips grip very strongly to the seat back, best done with a a helper.