Category B write off?

MikeA3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I'm no expert on this subject but I always thought a category B write off should never be returned to the road - it can only be sold on for parts

So i was somewhat suprised to see this on autotrader (5th one down I think at £6995 - 2002 in black)

Who the **** would drive that!! - it'll have all the structural integrity of a wet tissue

Linky:
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_search.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=none&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=AUDI&min_pr=75&source=2&model=S3&max_pr=&miles=1500&agerange=&mileage=&postcode=sw18+5as&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=32&ukcarsearch_full.y=8

yup, cat B will never get a MOT and has a notice to never be driven on the road again. Maybe it could be a track car lol

Ad says it's been re-shelled so the structure should be OK? Should it not also be on a 'Q' plate rather than it's original though?

Cat B means it MUST be broken for parts and not returned to the road - if it's been re-shelled they must have stripped the old car and used the parts on the new shell. Sounds a bit dodgy still but probably perfectly legit!

Yeah as said above cat b is a scrap marker - i dont believe there's any way round it unless they've put the Vins from a different car on it, sounds well sus to me but then again why would it be on the autotrader if it wasn't legal

i would want proof of new shell and the new shells identity Screams out Ringer to me but may be a perfectly legit rebuild but kind of a poinless exercise as it will never be worth the money its up for would give £3k tops

I just wouldnt touch it. I think the fact that it is sold with NO MOT is a big give away. If they have spent all that time restoring the car to "road legal" then why stop short of a £50 MOT.

Me thinks its completley illegal. Doesnt matter if its on Autotrader doesnt need to be leagal to be on there.

On that site "MVS cannot guarantee the mileage on this vehicle" Why o why would any one even think of buying this.

Beerzo said:
I just wouldnt touch it. I think the fact that it is sold with NO MOT is a big give away. If they have spent all that time restoring the car to "road legal" then why stop short of a £50 MOT.

Me thinks its completley illegal. Doesnt matter if its on Autotrader doesnt need to be leagal to be on there.

Yeah i didnt mean it'd be legal cos it was there just that it was an awfully public place to put the car on if its dodgy.

I totally agree tho, my old emplyers spent about 4 grand repairing a crumpled S type only to find it had a scrap marker against it - sat in the showroom for years after that.

Serves them right for their underhand ways

My mate works at MVS and its only down the road from me might have to do some diggin, All of there cars are customs and excise take offs so it doesnt exactly screem perfect example?
Ive looked at a S3 there before it was a right dog and they wanted £13000 for it!

I've noticed this S3 as i'm looking for one at the moment. In the space of 3 weeks it has gone from £12,000 to £8995 to £6995.

give it three more weeks and it'll be free :)