Audi quattro 1.8 turbo question

auditurboquat

Quattro is the only way!!!!
Reaction score
Hi there,

Just wondering if any of you guys have had a problem with the audi 1.8T quattro?

When I accelerate sometimes hard it speeds up but then slow a tad then goes again and does this over and over until the next gear change when it will do it again.

Is this turbo lag that the 1.8t sufferers from or is it something more serious?

How can it be solved?

Cheers,

Mike.

Does it feel like a flat spot??

I get a nice smooth build up mostly, No on and off feel...

I noticed on mine that the accelerator is very sensitive, the acceleration feels lumpy sometimes but I put that down to my foot sometimes!!!

Does yours Hold revs when you clutch in to change gear?? sounds like you kept your foot on the accelerator for an extra second whilst clutching in???

Nop mines pretty smooth, by sounds of it could be turbo lag or a flat spot...

hey pav, meant to ask mate, is yours 6speed??

J7USS said:
hey pav, meant to ask mate, is yours 6speed??

Yep, and I use it often, all the gears seem to be a tad up, 2nd feels like 1st, 3rd like 2nd and so forth...

Yeah I know what you mean. Friend of mine wants a one like yours or a newer 2.0T.

J7USS said:
Yeah I know what you mean. Friend of mine wants a one like yours or a newer 2.0T.

I thought all the 1.8t's came with 6 gears - obviously not. Oh well you learn something new every day...

Newer models only I beleive, S Lines - Mine aint which I thought exactly like you until I sat in mine before I bought it and realised!!

J7USS said:
Newer models only I beleive, S Lines - Mine aint which I thought exactly like you until I sat in mine before I bought it and realised!!

I was the opposite, pleasantly surprised when I sat in mine for first time expecting 5 gears and up popped the 6th one... took a few days to get used to it and now its the norm. Tried getting the micra into 6th today - habit!

J7USS said:
Does yours Hold revs when you clutch in to change gear?? sounds like you kept your foot on the accelerator for an extra second whilst clutching in???

I take it you still haven't found a solution to this problem? I've got the same problem and it really ****** me off, it does it all the time unless I leave like half a second gap between pressing clutch and depressing accelerator.

golf said:
I take it you still haven't found a solution to this problem? I've got the same problem and it really ****** me off, it does it all the time unless I leave like half a second gap between pressing clutch and depressing accelerator.

yeah same here mate, No I havnt had a chance to find out what it is yet but ill be looking into it this week and you'll be first to know mate!!:icon_thumright:

I had a problem with a 1.8T mk4 Golf GTI and I changed the MAF and got rid of the flat spot and also the MPG was much better after.

Get someone with VAGCOM to read the fault memory and see if there are any fault codes
James

My 1.8t Avant (04 plater) is the same.

I find that if the throttle is "fed-in" gradually then the car will pull like a train but floor it and you get this annoying flat spot.

It feels like the torque curve rises quickly to 2k then flattens out to about 4.5k and then rises again up to red line.

I was advised that this is a characteristic of this engine and the only way to get rid of it is to get it remapped.