(S4) Could all this be related?

mk4gtiturbo

Reaction score
So on the weekend I checked the oil and noticed it was a little low, I also needed to top up the coolant (it was only serviced a few thousand miles ago) and having read about what people can achieve MPG wise mine is a little low as well. (Average is 20mpg but short journeys, 27mpg is top I see on a long journey).

Does this sounds like to PCV? Is it an easy DIY job?

As long as you are not topping up 0.5l of oil after 600 miles you are fine. And based on you saying that the car was serviced a few thousand miles ago it appears to me you are not. This is pretty "normal" consumption on these engines. Like they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Re: mpg; there are different variables to consider; i.e your driving style, short vs long journeys, driving style, weather, driving style tyre pressure, driving style and tyre tread etc etc. Again, I believe your mpg seems absolutely fine.

I would be concerned only if you are getting mid 20s on short journeys and low to mid 30 on a long trip on motorways :hubbahubba:

Reactions: mk4gtiturbo
Oil and coolant loss will only be related if there is a leak between the two systems and likely external too. In a service there is no guarantee that the coolant would have been topped up just because it was a bit low, so that's no proof. You'll need to monitor it over time so that you can see for sure if either fluid level is reducing, and if so at what rate. Check if there are any signs of oil in the coolant container. Check for any damp patches under the car after it has been standing for a while. Audi engines do tend to use oil as they get older, but as @Tashfeen stated unless it is a lot don't worry. Certainly if its just one or two bars on the MMI oil gauge between services, that's nothing to be concerned about.

Reactions: mk4gtiturbo and V6_Man
Car has done 55k miles. I haven't noticed any oil or damp patches, except for some steam out the exhaust which I have put down to atmospheric conditions. No mayo in engine or coolant tank either. It didn't lose either fluid before the service but has lost a little since.

I'll keep an eye on it. I'm just aware of the horror stories and waiting for something to happen!!

Reactions: V6_Man