smelly air con

eski

Reaction score
Hi
Could anyone tell me why my air con smells
Bought one of those sprays that you put in the car to get rid of any bacteria ,but it still smells
As soon as you turn it on you get a strong smell which does disapear in about a minute
cheers
chris

Have you changed the cabin filter?
about £12 from Halfords special order but only a 5 min job

If thats the same as the pollen filter then yes

eski said:
Hi
Bought one of those sprays that you put in the car to get rid of any bacteria ,but it still smells
As soon as you turn it on you get a strong smell which does disapear in about a minute
cheers
chris

I have the same problem. It started when I went to Ireland and overtook a hay wagon and drove through a torrent of the stuff that was falling off it.
Ever since, when I get in the car, it smells of a very old person's bedroom. I have to press the recirculation button and it seems to freshen up then. I changed the pollen filter, and it's a bit better, but not entirely gone.
It's ****** horrible for the first minute or so in the car.

MMM

Guys
sorry to hear you're having the same problem (see http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=38080). i would steer clear of the Comma cleaner from Halfords and use Forte cleaner instead. that said i had my system cleaned, lubed and re-gassed at the local master-fit garage and i still get a bit of a whiff when the air-con is first turned on. at least i can go back to them if it gets bad again! hope you get it sorted.
Richard :ermm:

eski said:
Hi
cheers
chris

Hi - I have just got an Nov 2003 Audi A4 Quattro Sport - and the stink out of the air con is bl**dy awful when I first start car up.....dont use the air con that much......so if I complain to the garage I purchased from (York Audi) will it be covered under the warranty ?:think:

I would have thought that it should be covered by the warranty - you don't know until you ask! The problem with mine seems to have come back with a vengeance since the weather's turned warm again - does anyone have any ideas/info that i can take back to the garage (that did the clean and re-gas) and try and get it sorted!

cheers

Richard :ermm:

You could try using the comma air con cleaner as it is pretty good for the inside, but also remove the pollen filter and get some antibactirial spray and spray this directly into the intake with the blowers on gently and not on recycle, this solved alot of my problems,

Try to get a antibact spray that is a mist or a aerosol as you dont want too much liquid going into the intake,

Any particular antibacterial spray or certain brands/types? Any info much appreciated!

Cheers

Richard :salute:

hmm you could try using Detol watered down quite a bit and put into a mist spray bottle?

I think Dettol do make a aerosol, I will check....

Anything really that is anti bacterial, as its the bacteria build up that causes the mould to grow.

On a side note, I have read in many places that before you get to the end of your journey turn the air con off for 5 mins to let the condenser dry out, that stops alot of these problems, but who is going to turn it off when its 30c outside :)

Edit..

Here you go, get this and remove pollen filter, spray a good whack in with the system on fresh air with engine running and blowers on, then wait 5 mins and put the air con on recycle keep windows closed and wait a further 5 mins
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Dettol_disinfectant_spray__5612997

If it were the pollen filter then its likely that it will smell all the time.

Behind the glovebox is the internal air intake, remove the glovebox, set the air to recycle and spray some of this Clicky into the intake and let it run. its top stuff.

A4Quattro said:
If it were the pollen filter then its likely that it will smell all the time.

Behind the glovebox is the internal air intake, remove the glovebox, set the air to recycle and spray some of this Clicky into the intake and let it run. its top stuff.

I am not suggesting it is the pollen filter, but the easiest way to get the liquid through is to spray via the intake, this kills all bacteria on the way and gets all the nastys on the evaporator itself, the coma ones do the recycle job for the inside, but i like to do it through the whole system.

Took my Audi Avant Nov 2003 2.5TDi Quattro Sport in to Audi Preston for a check out of the air con......they deodorised and regassed my car of 6 weeks free of charge !!! A good will gesture !!!

Very impressed !!!!

...and my car smells just fab now :))))

:salute: