My First Oil Change

Ron240

Breaking the stereotype
Reaction score
Currently sitting in Dundee Audi waiting on my S3 having its first oil change......drinking free coffee and looking at the shiny new cars.
Mine is 1 year and 3 days old and has done a massive 4090 miles. :)
Having my car serviced is always a slightly nervous time for me because I am very protective(OCD) about my cars and don't like anybody else messing about with them. :D
Has been 1 hour since I handed over my keys so shouldn't be too much longer hopefully.
Oh and don't worry I made sure to specify "don't wash it" ;)
It's gleaming spotless anyway. :innocent:
20190603 090549

20190603 090614

20190603 090353

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimbob76, Jcbmally, BarryG79 and 2 others
Currently sitting in Dundee Audi waiting on my S3 having its first oil change......drinking free coffee and looking at the shiny new cars.
Mine is 1 year and 3 days old and has done a massive 4090 miles. :)
Having my car serviced is always a slightly nervous time for me because I am very protective(OCD) about my cars and don't like anybody else messing about with them. :D
Has been 1 hour since I handed over my keys so shouldn't be too much longer hopefully.
Oh and don't worry I made sure to specify "don't wash it" ;)
It's gleaming spotless anyway. :innocent:
View attachment 183922
View attachment 183923
View attachment 183924

That is way too many miles, and had it for ages, time to sell up and upgrade @Ron240

I know what you mean about being over protective. Had signs all over my Q5 (when I had it) and they still washed it!!

Signs need to be in Polish too

Reactions: Ron240
Mine is going in for first service in a couple of weeks and by then will have about 9500 miles and only 10 months old

Reactions: NevMan and Ron240
Oil change completed in approx. 1.5 hours. :)
They were 10 minutes into it before they noticed my dashcam and unplugged it. :D
Only slight negative was when I got my car back and turned it on the MMI screen came up and was set to the radio, but I previously had it fixed down and I never listen to the radio. I know its a minor niggle but I don't think technicians should be listening to the customer cars radios, but if they do make sure they put it back to its original state.
My next Inspection service has been reset to 365 days from today due to it previously being out of sequence.
I also got a 15 second "Audi Cam" video e-mailed to me with the technician reporting all was well with my vehicle. :sunglasses:
Was very good service overall so I'm happy. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan
Not at all.....was completely free. :innocent:

Reactions: NevMan and AlS3BE
Oil change completed in approx. 1.5 hours. :)
They were 10 minutes into it before they noticed my dashcam and unplugged it. :D
Only slight negative was when I got my car back and turned it on the MMI screen came up and was set to the radio, but I previously had it fixed down and I never listen to the radio. I know its a minor niggle but I don't think technicians should be listening to the customer cars radios, but if they do make sure they put it back to its original state.
My next Inspection service has been reset to 365 days from today due to it previously being out of sequence.
I also got a 15 second "Audi Cam" video e-mailed to me with the technician reporting all was well with my vehicle. :sunglasses:
Was very good service overall so I'm happy. :)

How do you fix the MMI screen down? I have VC so don’t need it at all and have to press the button to put it down every time. Although it popping up to remind me to take my phone is quite handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you fix the MMI screen down?
Press and hold the volume button for a couple of seconds till it goes down, then it will stay down until you manually bring it up again.
Your phone will still automatically connect via Bluetooth when it is down, but it will rise up when you receive a call.

Reactions: B33r and NevMan
Nothings for free @Ron240 :whistle2::whistle2::whistle2::whistle2: well maybe the air we breath :rock:
Normally I would agree with you, but in my case it really was free for me.
My original purchase price was set and I went away and slept on it, then I phoned the next day and said give me the first service for free and I will do the deal. :)
In hindsight I should have asked for 2 free services. ;)

Reactions: Jcbmally, AlS3BE and NevMan
Normally I would agree with you, but in my case it really was free for me.
My original purchase price was set and I went away and slept on it, then I phoned the next day and said give me the first service for free and I will do the deal. :)
In hindsight I should have asked for 2 free services. ;)

Considering how much it actually cost the dealers they should include 3 years in the purchase price.

Press and hold the volume button for a couple of seconds till it goes down, then it will stay down until you manually bring it up again.
Your phone will still automatically connect via Bluetooth when it is down, but it will rise up when you receive a call.

Careful doing this as the screen pops up with calls, parking, traffic broadcast and loads of other crap.
There was someone on The a6 forum decided to carry some pipes and other long items and resting them on the dash from the boot then someone called and it broke the screen. Probably £1k to replace.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Ron240
Well ocd Ron...Meet ocd Dougie...at every service, states DO NOT WASH...also has do not wash notice on the passenger seat, at any parking lot he is the lonely dude furthest from any entrance...washes his car once every week, come sun, rain, snow and freezing temperatures (heated underground parking with wash bay. Also my parking spot there has over a 1/2 metre clearance on both sides. I could go on and on but it would sound like ocd personified. :blink:

Reactions: NevMan, Jimbob76 and Ron240
Considering how much it actually cost the dealers they should include 3 years in the purchase price.

Careful doing this as the screen pops up with calls, parking, traffic broadcast and loads of other ****.
There was someone on The a6 forum decided to carry some pipes and other long items and resting them on the dash from the boot then someone called and it broke the screen. Probably £1k to replace.
Yes wouldn't it be great if we got 3 years free servicing....but dealers make too much money from servicing to give that away. Having said that sometimes they do promotions to help sell cars, and I believe Mercedes are currently offering 3 years servicing on the A class up till end of June or something.

I don't have any of that extra crap so it would only pop up when I received a call. As far as the possibility of me resting something on the dashboard goes....I don't think I need to say anything further about that. :D

Reactions: AlS3BE

Did you mean volume knob next to gearstick?. Tried it this evening and it just turned the MMI totally off. Did I hold it too long? It didn’t go down either way. I have a dedicated button to lower it next to drive select. Wonder if it makes a difference cus I have tech pack?

Yes the volume next to the gearstick.
Yours seems to be behaving in a different way to mine, but it states in my handbook this is the way to disable it.
I have the other button you are talking about too, but the screen will come back up next time the engine is started.

Yes the volume next to the gearstick.
Yours seems to be behaving in a different way to mine, but it states in my handbook this is the way to disable it.
I have the other button you are talking about too, but the screen will come back up next time the engine is started.

I’ll give it another try in morning. I think I misunderstood what you’d said anyway as was under impression you’d found a way to keep it always down even after engine off (except if got a call). That’s what I’m after really as rarely have use for the screen. There’s probably a hardware way to disconnect it or something but don’t wanna do that as every now n again I do actually need it. (Copy music to jukebox, sound settings etc.) General day to day have everything I need in the VC.

I’ll give it another try in morning. I think I misunderstood what you’d said anyway as was under impression you’d found a way to keep it always down even after engine off (except if got a call).
Yes this is exactly what I am meaning....it stays down permanently until you are receive a call or manually bring it up again. :)
All you do is press and hold the volume button for a couple of seconds and the screen will fold away.
I do not have VC so maybe the screen behaves differently when you do have it

I see that my oil was extracted rather than drained.....is this standard procedure nowadays?
I suppose a bonus of this is that they do not need to remove the undertray then neglect to put back every one of the screws....plus there is no chance of leaks from the sump plug.

Reactions: NevMan
I see that my oil was extracted rather than drained.....is this standard procedure nowadays?
I suppose a bonus of this is that they do not need to remove the undertray then neglect to put back every one of the screws....plus there is no chance of leaks from the sump plug.

It's just an easier way of doing it for the workshop. They generally charge a fixed rate for a minor service/ oil change so the more time saved the better.

How did you know they extracted not drained?

I prefer it to be drained. Don’t want the sump plug/washer to be corroded and stuck on the sump cause it’s never came out since factory. Also they never able to sook out all the dirty oil.
Saying that I’ve seen so many sump plugs get over tightened and ruins the thread as well so can’t win.

M
When I was ringing round to see how much a service was, all the quotes I got - and I asked for a breakdown in each case - included the cost of a replacement sump plug. It's in the service box of bits, if you like.

Call me a cynic, but I wouldn't mind betting that had you been paying for your oil change, you too would have been charged for a replacement sump plug even though they didn't use it.

The plug is only three or four quid, but that's not quite the point...

On the other hand, if they only sucked the old oil out through the dipstick tube rather than drained it from the sump because it was a freebie, I reckon I'd be a little bit cheesed off...

Don’t want the sump plug/washer to be corroded and stuck on the sump cause it’s never came out since factory. Also they never able to sook out all the dirty oil.
Saying that I’ve seen so many sump plugs get over tightened and ruins the thread as well so can’t win.
It's a plastic plug, so it wouldn't corrode.

I'd imagine it's quite an easy thing to bust if you've had one too many Weetabix, though.

It's a plastic plug, so it wouldn't corrode.

I'd imagine it's quite an easy thing to bust if you've had one too many Weetabix, though.

Ahh. Didn’t know it was plastic. Suppose by using plastic the risk of damaging thread in the sump is a lot lower.

How did you know they extracted not drained?
It states on my service report that the oil was extracted, plus before my dashcam was disconnected I could see a big overhead telescopic hose thing....which I hadn't known what it was, but must be what they use to extract the oil.
Like yourself I would prefer drained too, but its swings and roundabouts I suppose. :)

Reactions: AlS3BE and Phutters
It states on my service report that the oil was extracted, plus before my dashcam was disconnected I could see a big overhead telescopic hose thing....which I hadn't known what it was, but must be what they use to extract the oil.
Like yourself I would prefer drained too, but its swings and roundabouts I suppose. :)

Why did they need to turn off the dash cam?
What are they hiding:wink:

Why did they need to turn off the dash cam?
What are they hiding:wink:
I believe they turned it off because it is permanently plugged into the 12v outlet so could easily be unplugged, but had it been hardwired then naturally they could not.
I don't think they were hiding anything per se, but rather preferred not to be on camera. I would feel the same if it was me carrying out the oil change.
I do not know what company policy is on unplugging customers dash cams, but from what I have heard in the past it is a fairly common occurrence at all dealerships.

Reactions: NevMan and AlS3BE
Mines hardwired. Works both ways really.
If something happens to my car in their garage then the dash cam will pick it up and saves them a big bill especially if it was someone else that cause damage.
Years ago my car went for a service and I got it back with scratches on the back bumper. If it had the dash cam it would have saved massive arguments with the dealership. Luckily their own cctv picked up what looked like another customer doing a turn in the car park and scraped my bumper. They still coughed up only because they found out who done it. Wasn’t for me to argue with the customer. For all I cared was I gave them a car and it was fine and they had to sort it. Not a cheap repair either. Rear diffuser/trims had to be replaced and the whole bumper painted.

if you note that I am OCD, on presentation of car for service I go around the car with the service advisor as he notes mileage and spotless condition, also I wait for the service to be done and then go around the car again myself. I book for 1st appointment and am out in an hour for minor services and 2 plus hours for a major. Time for free coffee and snacks and a wander around at new cars and a blether or two with staff I have known for years.
Yes, they know me :whistle2: always a pleasant "How are you Mr. Torrance"

Reactions: AlS3BE and Ron240
if you note that I am OCD, on presentation of car for service I go around the car with the service advisor as he notes mileage and spotless condition, also I wait for the service to be done and then go around the car again myself. I book for 1st appointment and am out in an hour for minor services and 2 plus hours for a major. Time for free coffee and snacks and a wander around at new cars and a blether or two with staff I have known for years.
Exactly what I normally do and did do on this occasion, the only exception being getting somebody to walk round my car before handing it over.
Car booked in for 8am so that it is the technicians first job of the day. I had pre prepared my car so that it is spotless inside and out(dry morning weather helps a lot), which enables any damage to be easily spotted. 2 cups of coffee and 4 biscuits later together with a wander round the cars in the showroom, I am slowly walking round my car paying particular attention to wheels and paintwork and ready to leave. :innocent:

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and AlS3BE