B7 2.0 tdi BLB engine starter motor change

guyzza75

Reaction score
Hi all ..changed starter motor on my B7 2.0 tdi BLB on the weekend and just wanted to share the experience to help anyone else.
Jack car up and get on axle stands as high as is comfortable underneath. Take driver side wheel off and you will see a plastic type cover than fits over driveshafts. Remove the 2 torx bolts and a black plastic popper and remove the cover. Remove engine and gearbox plastic under trays. You will see the starter motor on the rear of the drivers side of engine. It is held in by 2 x 16mm bolts one at the bottom and one which is just offset from the top. The bottom one is quite easy to get (I used a spanner) to undo it quite easily. The top bolt (see new starter for position) is a bit of a pig to get to, however I managed it by using two extension bars on a ratchet and 16 mm socket over the top of the driveshaft and used a spanner to lock on ratchet handle for extra leverage. Once the bolts are out you can wiggle the starter out of place and then proceed to undo the plastic connector plug first BEFORE the nut holding 2 x wires. The plug is a bit hard to get off and mine had a red switch that you move back towards the wires then gently prised the connector off with a screwdriver. Once the plug is off you will then see the nut. Undo this (memory says 13 mm) however cannot quite remember. Once free the starter will wiggle out through the bottom of the car . I have seen on some forums that people drop the CAT from the turbo etc ..you do not have to do this ! The driveshaft cover under arch gives you extra space to get your hands right in the places you can't reach. The procedure took me about hour and a half to 2 hours for replacing as well ..hope this helps

Reactions: AvantMike, Robbyb and Sibmets