S3 8p downpipe upgrade

Konstantinos

Reaction score
Hello guys.
After sorting out some issues with my s3, I’m looking to upgrade my downpipe.It will be 76mm custom catted from a local shop.
Should I keep the middle resonator on or not?
I don’t want it super noisy but don’t want to hold the performance back too.
Backbox will remain the same as I like the flap function
Stage 1 ecu flash is the next to come after that

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
The APR downpipe has a resonator after the cat and to my ears did not sound much different to stock on a. S3. We had a BCS downpipe on a TTS which had no resonator and it was louder and I think sounded better, more sporty.
With the downpipe, you will be getting a stage 2 remap not just a stage 1. If you added uprated fuel pump internals as well as an RS4 fuel valve you would be getting a 2+.

Reactions: Konstantinos
If you just had a stage 1 flash you would probably still get a warning light on the dash. There is no benefit of having the downpipe without the stage 2 software. If you only have a stage 1, stick with the standard downpipe and save your money.
A custom mapper should be able to tweak the settings to reflect your hardware. Without the intake, you will not make the maximum figures available for stage 2 but they will still be an upgrade.
Originally, I went stage 1+ with the standard air box but I used a free flowing panel filter and smoothed as much of the internal parts of the standard air box as possible, removing some of the internal supporting bars and getting rid of any bits of plastic sticking up.

Appreciate your answers guys!
I forgot to mention that the intake is already installed and forge dv also So take that in mind
I have plans for stage 2+ For sure so a dp is a good investment I believe!
At the moment I’m concerned about my turbocharger. It’s been well used from the previous owner and I’m trying to be gentle with it until the rebuild time! I don’t want it broken soon!
Said stage 1 because I want to keep the boost low (1.5bar maybe?) just to be safe for the turbo and clutch for the time

Appreciate your answers guys!
I forgot to mention that the intake is already installed and forge dv also So take that in mind
I have plans for stage 2+ For sure so a dp is a good investment I believe!
At the moment I’m concerned about my turbocharger. It’s been well used from the previous owner and I’m trying to be gentle with it until the rebuild time! I don’t want it broken soon!
Said stage 1 because I want to keep the boost low (1.5bar maybe?) just to be safe for the turbo and clutch for the time
This is where you want a custom map and you can tell the tuner exactly what you want. A generic flash just loads on the settings without any tweaking.

This is where you want a custom map and you can tell the tuner exactly what you want. A generic flash just loads on the settings without any tweaking.

Exactly!
Apr downpipe also has 81mm inlet as I remember?
I’m thinking that the middle resonator won’t hold me that back from my current goal
(Let’s say about 300-320) what do you think?

Last edited:
The resonator is just to do with noise reduction.
From memory, my son had 320 BHP on a stage 1 map on a TTS at RTech and I had about 337bhp on a stage 1+ with the standard airbox + high flow panel filter with APR.
A stage 1 with a decent company should release 300 BHP. As a generic map APR seem to have more followers than Revo who have moved onto newer platforms. RTech will give you the best overall experience from my experience of 4 visits there for various things.
Not the same sort of gains with Superchips though. That is what I started with but there was not a massive difference to stock.

That’s what I wanted to hear!
I will leave the middle resonator on for now
Thanks for your details sir!

When I got the dp installed I will come back with a video!