What’s the yellow mark ?

den911

Reaction score
Hi I have a 2011 1.6tdi and I am going through the process of doing some jobs on the car , I have only had it a month and I have so far re fitted the metal under tray , given it a service with OEM filters and oil also had a new Thermostat and housing ...I am also looking in to the VCDS system and possible purchase of A3 Vin Hex can cable just doing some you tube vids on the system ...I do a mixture of town and motorway and have done 1500 miles to date and only noticed one DPF regen ...I do have a slight issue on first revs were it feels a tad noisy with slight throttle after that car is smooth and fine ...What I am looking at at moment is potential issues ie injectors DPF EGR etc and basically trying to prepare myself for any issues...I have had the cars software rolled back to pre fix , I know the EGR is a good 5 hrs at a garage for labour and I would more than likely have to go OEM for that part also been looking at injectors both new and re con , that I reckon I could do myself if I purchased the hex can and learnt how to code them ...Today while I was checking under the bonnet I noticed a yellow mark in what I woul presume is No 1 injector and was wondering if that is from factory or could someone have marked for a reason possibly a change of injector ,personally I can’t think why it’s there maybe someone could have an idea ...TIA
73611060 E280 41CC AB94 EC498CE47594

Normally a used parts place would mark things in paint pen so they know if it's the part they sold you, when or if you return it. I'd check when you have VCDS whether the injector numbers from the top collar match what is stored in the engine ECU. If they don't, that could be the problem. Rosstech have a good write up on recoding injectors but don't recode any that already match as they have worn in over time and the engine has learnt the changes. Only code any replacements that don't match the existing numbers. It may run roughly for a while until it figures out the fuelling of a used injector. The codes on top tell it the as-new parameters which will have changed as it aged.

Normally a used parts place would mark things in paint pen so they know if it's the part they sold you, when or if you return it. I'd check when you have VCDS whether the injector numbers from the top collar match what is stored in the engine ECU. If they don't, that could be the problem. Rosstech have a good write up on recoding injectors but don't recode any that already match as they have worn in over time and the engine has learnt the changes. Only code any replacements that don't match the existing numbers. It may run roughly for a while until it figures out the fuelling of a used injector. The codes on top tell it the as-new parameters which will have changed as it aged.
Thanks for taking time to reply i get the vcds today so hopefuly when it stops raining i can check the numbers ..I have heard that some people will replace a injector without coding ...So if someone as replaced without coding there is not point of recoding via vcds due to ecu learning its value ..

If one has been changed without being recorded, I'd recode it myself then let the engine ECU tune it over time as the original could have been totally different and the ECU will be working with the values it learned while using the original one. If it doesn't know it was swapped, all sorts of fuelling errors could be plaguing you from that injector.

Reactions: den911