Loss of power..

Jamesh87

Reaction score
Hi guys, have a 2007 a3 2.0tfsi dsg, and noticed the last couple of days that it has a noticeable loss in power when you floor it , it seems to take an age to get anywhere, it seems to also only happen when warmed up. I dont have vcds but used carista and it showed no codes other than one for the radio. Only other thing i noticed was last night i put it in D went to pull away and the esp light flashed and it wouldn’t pull away properly, but hasn't done it since but just feels very sluggish.. any suggestions?

Hi guys, have a 2007 a3 2.0tfsi dsg, and noticed the last couple of days that it has a noticeable loss in power when you floor it , it seems to take an age to get anywhere, it seems to also only happen when warmed up. I dont have vcds but used carista and it showed no codes other than one for the radio. Only other thing i noticed was last night i put it in D went to pull away and the esp light flashed and it wouldn’t pull away properly, but hasn't done it since but just feels very sluggish.. any suggestions?
Sounds like it may be wheel speed sensor related ..

When it thinks it's slipping it cuts the power to regain traction..

I changed the struts on a car once and they had ovel pins to adjust camber.. which was a t**t to get right.. it ended up throwing my tracking way out and setting the esp off all the time.. I could drive normally if I turned ESP off. But I ended up just getting it aligned properly. It wasn't an Audi but same principle.

Seems odd that it flashed once and only is happening when warm not all the time though. But it could be related.

Maybe check your tracking by eyeball as best you can, try turning ESP off and see if it makes a difference?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply! Have read a bit suggesting wheel speed sensor so will deffo look into that! Tracking seems fine by eye, i had the timing belt done on weekend so im wondering if maybe something has been broken not connected again too?

Thanks for the reply! Have read a bit suggesting wheel speed sensor so will deffo look into that! Tracking seems fine by eye, i had the timing belt done on weekend so im wondering if maybe something has been broken not connected again too?
No worries!

Quite the possibility, it's a good shout to get a vcds on it though really.

It may be a build up of something on the toothed ring on any of the hubs.. which is sending the sensor off.. or corrosion of the ring.. or bad sensor. I'm not saying it definitely is that but it seems strange how esp was set off on the dash and I'd be investigating related things if it was me.

Check all sensor wiring in the bay, a lot of stuff has to me moved to do that job really and like you say it's easy to break things and not notice if people aren't careful.

I'd imagine a faulty abs or wheel speed sensor would probably throw a code such as wheel speed out of range or something along those lines though.

Another question then, if i can get vcds on it do you happen to know what to monitor to measure a maybe faulty wheel speed sensor?

Another question then, if i can get vcds on it do you happen to know what to monitor to measure a maybe faulty wheel speed sensor?
It will have a live data section for something along the lines of this. I'm not sure exactly what blocks they may be different on your vehicle. This was on a Mk5 golf that I found on the net. Or so the video was titled anyway
33aedd4830fb6470726090ae74f998f3.jpg

Also another good thing to check while you've got vcds is boost pressure actual Vs requested when looking at a power loss problem.

I had a nightmare power loss issue when I first got my Audi and it was due to boost pressure loss.

OK, so not haldex related then. Maybe your garage have put the belt on incorrectly. It will only take a tooth to completely change the way it drives. You used to be able to check cambelt alignment with vcds - not sure if you can do this on the 8P platform though.

Had timing checked today and its spot on, no codes on vcds either so its a mystery for now! Thanks for all the replies much appreciated, car ran fine today too

You say its fixed and they checked it.......and now its fine? So did they just put the timing right when they checked it ? easy to be one tooth out.

Reactions: Adamdavid899
You say its fixed and they checked it.......and now its fine? So did they just put the timing right when they checked it ? easy to be one tooth out.
I was there when it was checked i took it to another garage where i used to work, and the timing was fine, it hasnt played up yet and has been driving fine. So at the moment untill it does it again if it does its a mystery

I was there when it was checked i took it to another garage where i used to work, and the timing was fine, it hasnt played up yet and has been driving fine. So at the moment untill it does it again if it does its a mystery
Cars are strange things.

They do my head in at times haha. At least it's ok for now!