Parking brake problem

Nifty

Reaction score
Hi folks, I've recently purchased a 2011 2.0 tfsi sportback Quattro. It's a manual.

Problem is when I let the parking brake off, on a gradient, it rolls back. I'm pretty sure this shouldn't happen.
The car does not have hill hold assist, but this I understand is an entirely different thing.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

That sounds correct. If the gearbox is in N and you are not pressing the brake pedal then releasing the parking brake should allow the car to freely roll. What do you believe should be preventing it from doing that?

From the A5 owners manual Dippy....

Driving away on a slope.
When driving away on a gradient, the parking brake auto release function prevents the vehicle from rolling back unintentionally. The braking force of the parking brake is only released when there is enough power at the wheels to make the vehicle move in the desired direction.

So you are in 1st gear, you apply pressure to the accelerator pedal, the parking brake auto-releases but the car rolls backwards? If so I suggest you test your clutch and see if it is slipping.

No, the clutch had not been engaged, it's on the floor, not touched the accelerator. It rolls back as soon as I let the parking brake off, and take my foot from the foot brake.

I think you are misunderstanding the owners manual. It means that when you apply the parking brake, it will automatically disengage when you pull away. You don't need to release it manually.

What you are doing is disengaging the parking brake manually so there is nothing to stop it rolling back as you have found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then, I don't understand why they would mention it only being released when there is enough power at the wheels.

No power at the wheels and it's away!

Shortbloke, I might be following you here.. are you saying I engage first while parking brake is still on, and it won't stall. Just take off?

Yep just try pulling away and see if it turns off.

Not so sure. Would like confirmation before I burn the clutch!

Fair enough although this is exactly what the handbook says.

Reactions: Richard46
Yep just try pulling away and see if it turns off.

This is correct. Mine is an auto so slightly different, but as you pull away with the parking brake on you'll feel some resistance but the brake disengages and off you go. Don't do it very often though because it doesn't feel right, coming from years of using an old hand brake lever :scared2:

Thanks very much guys, tried and tested. Problem solved.