Dash cam with motion detection?

Ormesome

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Last year my A3 was scrached whilst at the Monza Gp, no cameras around and no dash cam so i had to just put it down to bad luck. Today my Q2 had a nice note on it in Portuguese saying that i should go home to Switzerland! Anyway, im getting annoyed with how people act & react to a nice car and need to at least take some action. I am going to buy a dash cam but want one with motion detection. Im really not sure how this works, i assume that at night, if someone puts a nice note on my car then "motion detection" will kick in and record it? I have seen some models on ebay but would love any suggetions of dash cams with motion detection or also alerts to mobile phone.

Thanks in advance

Afternoon all,

Last year my A3 was scrached whilst at the Monza Gp, no cameras around and no dash cam so i had to just put it down to bad luck. Today my Q2 had a nice note on it in Portuguese saying that i should go home to Switzerland! Anyway, im getting annoyed with how people act & react to a nice car and need to at least take some action. I am going to buy a dash cam but want one with motion detection. Im really not sure how this works, i assume that at night, if someone puts a nice note on my car then "motion detection" will kick in and record it? I have seen some models on ebay but would love any suggetions of dash cams with motion detection or also alerts to mobile phone.

Thanks in advance
Thinkware F770, F800Pro or Q800Pro systems. Pretty small, no overheating issues, cause no DAB issues, are basically “set and forget” in operation until you notice something about the car you want to reference. The best feature by far however is their parking modes specifically motion, sound and vibration detection. The systems use very little power and buffer. Video is very clear and got between 48 to 72 hours of standby when I ran the F800pro, same with the Q800Pro I run now.

Reactions: Ormesome
Can recommend the F770 as well, works great and Alix set it all up for me, haven't had to check the footage regularly but does a great job recording anyone walking past. Plenty of videos of people going past and stopping and starting haha

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

is that front and rear motion detection? how does it actually work? on the Q2, much like the A3 i think, its got quite a big black dotted area near the rear view mirror, those black dots that i think are there to stop the sun shinning through. Can i mount the camera there as long as long as the lense has a clear shot or is there a motion detection sensor? Also, as im LHD now, the F770 and others quoted above seem better suited for RHD cars. The F200 seems better for my car as it has the lense on the other side but unsure if it has motion sensors.

is that front and rear motion detection? how does it actually work? on the Q2, much like the A3 i think, its got quite a big black dotted area near the rear view mirror, those black dots that i think are there to stop the sun shinning through. Can i mount the camera there as long as long as the lense has a clear shot or is there a motion detection sensor? Also, as im LHD now, the F770 and others quoted above seem better suited for RHD cars. The F200 seems better for my car as it has the lense on the other side but unsure if it has motion sensors.
F770 is actually designed for LHD vehicles (as it's American). Mines sat just below the rear view mirror and is fine.

Not 100% sure about rear detection as I always reverse in to a bay so never tested it. Rear camera fits just between the heating elements as well

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Ormesome
Here's a link to the post Alix made for the fitting to my car:

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Ormesome
Yes front and rear. When in parking mode the recording will start one motion is detected, noise is heard or vibration is detected. All have their own sensitivity settings.

LHD / RHD dose not matter you can mount the unit where you like as long as you are not obstructing any of your vehicles sensors and indeed your field of view. The units have wide angle lens, 140 degree I believe, so have a large field of view. Most cameras are designed for LHD vehicles, including black view, but mounting a unit which has its lens offset is not an issue. I mount them to the left of the rear view mirror base which allows full coverage of the front of the vehicle.

Thinkware units outside of the F770, f800pro and Q800Pro I cannot comment on to be honest. The Units I have listed have been more than fit for purpose and I am yet to receive any complaints other than “I kinda expected the f800pro pro to be able to stream”.

Edit: and if the offset bugs you there is a simple solution, install the unit backwards. Put the front at the back and back at the front. I have done this on an AMG GTS and a couple of Porsche. The F770 and F800pro cameras record same back and front. Q800 has 2k front and HD rear so I would not do that with this unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn
Blackvue dashcams also have motion sensors, mine has...

Reactions: RS3 S.
Blackvue dashcams also have motion sensors, mine has...
While the Blackvue are good units I had loads of complaints about them, mainly overheating and DAB interference. A lot of people I know only run the front camera as a result. They do have better video quality than current thinkware offerings and their external battery options are pretty good. If you want 4K and cloud streaming they are pretty much the only way to go, thinkware had announced a 4K cloud unit but it looks very very aliexpress cheap, but thr blackvue are power hungry and the parking mode standby is not great unless you use an external battery pack, especially if you have the unit WiFi connected 24/7. They are pretty large also.

F770 gets my vote. Quality of video is good and fit and forget. Need to play with the settings though as there’s all sorts of stuff like speed camera database, safety assistance stuff and with everything on the camera gets a bit chatty.
It’s small enough to hide behind the rear view mirror. And if you look at the mirror on the rear window you can see the rear camera is tiny.
Upload 2019 8 3 10 17 36

Fitted by @DJAlix

Reactions: NevMan, Ormesome and Adam14
Or have a look at the Viofo A129 Duo front and rear dashcam. Verrrrrrrrrry good for its price and you can it with a Viofo hardwire kit. This kit cuts off the power when voltage drops below a certain, specified point, so you never have problems starting your car.

I installed a Viofo A129duo in my dads car and it works excellent. Very good quality.

I installed a Blackvue Dr900s-2ch in an Audi A4 (my car at work), which costs around 500 euros more (!) and it's definetly not better...

I'm going to install a Viofo in my A3 E-tron, but haven't decided if I only want a front cam or also a rear cam.
Take a look at YouTube on all the Viofo A119 and A129 dashcams.
I think you can't find a better dashcam, looking at price VS quality.

F770 gets my vote. Quality of video is good and fit and forget. Need to play with the settings though as there’s all sorts of stuff like speed camera database, safety assistance stuff and with everything on the camera gets a bit chatty.
It’s small enough to hide behind the rear view mirror. And if you look at the mirror on the rear window you can see the rear camera is tiny.
View attachment 187756
Fitted by @DJAlix

+1 on the F770. Had in Q5, and now transferred to X3 M40i

Thanks for the replies chaps. Done lots of research but still unsure due to the fitting, not features.

Didnt think the Thinkware was for LHD as its seems better to mount the cameras on the passenger side, which most of you do due to being in the UK. In my Q2, you can see the area that is "dotted out" seems bigger than the A3, meaning that i would have to install it high and to the side, possibly restricting my view, or lower down, which then will stop the view of the mirror sensor? Also, i have a motorway toll receiver on the drivers side already installed. apparently they have to be in that general area due to where the motorway sensors are. not sure how true this is! You can see from the photos below my predicament. currently thinking the F770 is the best option all things considered, but not keen on it looking like a massive black box stuck in the middle of the windscreen!

IMG 5141
IMG 5142
IMG 5144

Thanks for the replies chaps. Done lots of research but still unsure due to the fitting, not features.

Didnt think the Thinkware was for LHD as its seems better to mount the cameras on the passenger side, which most of you do due to being in the UK. In my Q2, you can see the area that is "dotted out" seems bigger than the A3, meaning that i would have to install it high and to the side, possibly restricting my view, or lower down, which then will stop the view of the mirror sensor? Also, i have a motorway toll receiver on the drivers side already installed. apparently they have to be in that general area due to where the motorway sensors are. not sure how true this is! You can see from the photos below my predicament. currently thinking the F770 is the best option all things considered, but not keen on it looking like a massive black box stuck in the middle of the windscreen!

View attachment 187767 View attachment 187766 View attachment 187768

Fair enough. The F770 is prob lay better suited to LHD to be honest as wires enter/exist the left side. I mounted mine high up on the windscreen so not stuck in the middle. Higher spec Thinkwares such as F800 Pro or Q800 are smaller

Here is mine mounted on X3

9fca5acb0cda2f1733d94f7322de020f.jpg

a023d64c7c27bbb76f57542309d5b153.jpg

0f5236107c8358d830add110f7f71fd9.jpg

I could have mounted behind rear view mirror and would have been hidden, but looked awful from the outside (in my opinion)

Just to add, my wife is REALLY fussy about stuff, and for even her the Dashcam is not an issue or in he eyeline or anything. And parking mode works brilliantly

Just to add, my wife is REALLY fussy about stuff, and for even her the Dashcam is not an issue or in he eyeline or anything. And parking mode works brilliantly

Only prob is that if i mount it like you have, which is fine as its on the passengers side for you, then i still have the problem that i will be driving on that side. I am not allowed, by Swiss law, to mount anything on the drivers side that impeades vision. This would do that according to my research. Much like in the UK, im pretty sure that would be illegal if on the drivers side.

Last edited:

For the most part mine is in the dotted area and only the lens part is below which is about an inch or so. Judging by your pics it would be right behind the mirror and could be fitted below your motorway receiver thing. Other option is swap the rear with the front camera as that’s about the size of lipstick tube.

Personally I would install an f800pro with the main unit in the back and have the rear camera mounted on the front. Zero difference in video quality. Why not the F770? I don’t think the rear camera image can be flipped in order to accommodate running the cable down the mirror trim and thus needing to point the camera the other way.

You could always go for a Blackvue but you would have to be willing to put up with the possible issues I mentioned above and also having a black toilet roll mounted to your screen.

Ok, so i have gone for the F770. Main reason was that it was a whole 150pounds cheaper with postage. I dont think the extra features of the F800 were worth the extra cash. Anyway, ill have to deal with the whole mounting issues when it arrives. Not really sure how i will do it but lets see. I shall put some photos of where it ends up! Cheers for all your help :icon thumright:

Ok, so i have gone for the F770. Main reason was that it was a whole 150pounds cheaper with postage. I dont think the extra features of the F800 were worth the extra cash. Anyway, ill have to deal with the whole mounting issues when it arrives. Not really sure how i will do it but lets see. I shall put some photos of where it ends up! Cheers for all your help :icon thumright:

No need to mount on the left, mount on the right, and then cables come out the left of unit into headliner trim...sorted

While the Blackvue are good units I had loads of complaints about them, mainly overheating and DAB interference. A lot of people I know only run the front camera as a result. They do have better video quality than current thinkware offerings and their external battery options are pretty good. If you want 4K and cloud streaming they are pretty much the only way to go, thinkware had announced a 4K cloud unit but it looks very very aliexpress cheap, but thr blackvue are power hungry and the parking mode standby is not great unless you use an external battery pack, especially if you have the unit WiFi connected 24/7. They are pretty large also.
I beg to differ and the unit I have fitted looks far more compact and neater than many other suggestions in this thread.
The power magic pro, if required, is at no extra cost if you know where to purchase it from..

I beg to differ and the unit I have fitted looks far more compact and neater than many other suggestions in this thread.
The power magic pro, if required, is at no extra cost if you know where to purchase it from..
The thinkware main unit is not much larger than a pack of cards or a pack of cigarettes, all power management is built in.

The Blackvue front is basically a black toilet roll, and while larger than the thinkware needs an external box for its power management.

Both manufacturers rear cameras are a similar size to a salt shaker.

The mention of the power magic pro, the Blackvue power management box, has reminded me of something I forgot to mention previously... While external management is not really an issue to be honest the amount of “out of box” failures I have experienced with these units is unreal, to the point of where I have been ordering two with every camera. It’s always good to have spares also as they often go faulty within the first 6 months.

Said it before in other threads and will say it again here... pretty much all of the dash cams on the market, past and present, have not been perfect and god knows the thinkwares are not... however they are in my mind the best of a bad bunch unless you are looking for 4K and cloud streaming.

When I am back in the UK I think I am gonna source a few units, install them all in the same car and make a video.

Just to throw another option in to the ring, and I could not remember the manufacturer until just now:

http://en.ddpai.com/product/mini/3.html

Very small, good reviews and parking modes. I threw one in to an S3 8V a while back. I only spent a little time with it as the unit was supplied by the customer but it seemed to do everything stated on the box.

Edit1: does not have a rear so you would need to install x2 units. Not the most elegant option but another none the less.

Edit2: installation link:

The thinkware main unit is not much larger than a pack of cards or a pack of cigarettes, all power management is built in.

The Blackvue front is basically a black toilet roll, and while larger than the thinkware needs an external box for its power management.

Both manufacturers rear cameras are a similar size to a salt shaker.

The mention of the power magic pro, the Blackvue power management box, has reminded me of something I forgot to mention previously... While external management is not really an issue to be honest the amount of “out of box” failures I have experienced with these units is unreal, to the point of where I have been ordering two with every camera. It’s always good to have spares also as they often go faulty within the first 6 months.

Said it before in other threads and will say it again here... pretty much all of the dash cams on the market, past and present, have not been perfect and god knows the thinkwares are not... however they are in my mind the best of a bad bunch unless you are looking for 4K and cloud streaming.

When I am back in the UK I think I am gonna source a few units, install them all in the same car and make a video.
Agreed all have flaws, which is why I chose a blackvue. As for them looking like a toilet roll. LOL, I can think of a better description;-)

Ok so installed the F770. Christ what a faf trying to get the cables all properly tidy and in the headliner! Lots of swearing needed!! So far the F770 seems a good-ish piece of tech. Very surprised by the low quality but then perhaps I was expecting too much of an “Apple product” style finish!

Anyway I have a few teething problems:

1) On start up the voice tells me 3 times to regularly format memory card. Can I turn this off?

2) I have to manually switch the unit on when I turn on the ignition.

3) Takes around 30seconds after turning it on to go through checks and so on before it starts recording.

4)Wi-Fi doesn’t show live stream of the rear camera which is annoying because I don’t know if it’s upside down or not!!

Any help or advice would be grand

Very surprised by the low quality but then perhaps I was expecting too much of an “Apple product” style finish!

Find them very well built to be honest. If you are talking about video quality then view the video on a PC / Mac and it’s HD.

1) On start up the voice tells me 3 times to regularly format memory card. Can I turn this off?

Edit: format the card, if it still asks then you have a faulty or incompatible card.

You have installed it incorrectly. Unit should switch on automatically with ignition.

3) Takes around 30seconds after turning it on to go through checks and so on before it starts recording.

As do most cameras. Yours is taking a little longer as you have system notifications on so it speaks / tells you about everything that’s happened while you were away etc.

4)Wi-Fi doesn’t show live stream of the rear camerawhich is annoying because I don’t know if it’s upsidedown or not!!

Yes it does. In live view select / press the F icon / letter at the top of the screen to switch to R (rear).

Reactions: NevMan and Ormesome
Very surprised by the low quality but then perhaps I was expecting too much of an “Apple product” style finish!

Find them very well built to be honest. If you are talking about video quality then view the video on a PC / Mac and it’s HD.

Edit: format the card, if it still asks then you have a faulty or incompatible card.

You have installed it incorrectly. Unit should switch on automatically with ignition.

As do most cameras. Yours is taking a little longer as you have system notifications on so it speaks / tells you about everything that’s happened while you were away etc.

4)Wi-Fi doesn’t show live stream of the rear camerawhich is annoying because I don’t know if it’s upsidedown or not!!

Yes it does. In live view select / press the F icon / letter at the top of the screen to switch to R (rear).

Cheers @DJAlix. Perhaps i have the wires mixed up. Rest of the installation is fine i think. I followed these notes from someone on the Q2 forum regarding the fuse box:

"I used fuses F39 (front/rear door unit) and F47 (rear windscreen wiper). F39 is a permeant live fuse, whilst F47 is switched live, only powered when the car is on.These fuses allow the dashcams to record whilst the car is moving, and whilst parked, marking the footage differently."

What do you think of this? Ill go out and tinker with it now. I think maybe i put the yellow and red wires the wrong way round! Must say i dont think i saw an F icon or letter but ill check.

What camera where they installing? I ask because the F770 power cables are different to the F800pro and Q800Pro’s, they are reversed. Always best to whip a multimeter out and test the connections. Also please don’t be lazy and use one of the nuts next to the glovebox as an earth, find a proper one in the drivers or passenger side footwell (at floor level).

What camera where they installing? I ask because the F770 power cables are different to the F800pro and Q800Pro’s, they are reversed. Always best to whip a multimeter out and test the connections. Also please don’t be lazy and use one of the nuts next to the glovebox as an earth, find a proper one in the drivers or passenger side footwell (at floor level).

It was a Blackvue DR430-2ch they were installing. Do the fuses i mentioned above, correspond to the ones you usually use in the A3?

Fuseboxes tend to differ between vehicles to be honest, even PFL to FL, which is why I whip out the multi meter. Using the FL A3 as an example, which is what you vehicle is based on, I would use any fuse position on the top two rows for your perma Live / battery. For ACC / switched live I would use the cigarette lighter position.

Reactions: Ormesome and NevMan
Thanks for your help @DJAlix . I swapped the fuses over and it now seems to work ok. I think I had them round the wrong way. Rear camera kicked in to action too. The icon is like the iPhone icon to use front facing camera though, no letters. Still tinkering around with it to just learn how it operates but it seems ok. Will post pics later of where it is installed just in case any one is interested.

Reactions: NevMan
Not a problem :)

You will be playing with the settings for the next week depending on how much you drive / use the car. You need to test and find what works best for you. Once there it will be set and forget. What I will advise is set your cutoff voltage to 12v and forget about all the forward collision / lane assist stuff as it’s garbage.

Ok so installed the F770. Christ what a faf trying to get the cables all properly tidy and in the headliner! Lots of swearing needed!! So far the F770 seems a good-ish piece of tech. Very surprised by the low quality but then perhaps I was expecting too much of an “Apple product” style finish!

Quality when viewing in live view is poor. Watch one of the recorded videos and the quality is miles better.
Rest Alex answered.

I can't get the viewing of footage to work on my phone, other than that it's great

I can't get the viewing of footage to work on my phone, other than that it's great

What phone are you using ?
I’ve managed to view on my iPhone and kindle fire that I use for obd11/carista

Samsung S9+ when I click on a recorded video on the phone it asks me to download an app which I already have so it's a constant loop.

Samsung S9+ when I click on a recorded video on the phone it asks me to download an app which I already have so it's a constant loop.

Think they might have something to do with file type association or default application. Delete app and the one it asks for then reinstall. Similar to windows default apps.
Saying that i didn’t need to install anything else on my fire other than the dash cam app. Everything played within app.

Think they might have something to do with file type association or default application. Delete app and the one it asks for then reinstall. Similar to windows default apps.
Saying that i didn’t need to install anything else on my fire other than the dash cam app. Everything played within app.
Tried that mate to no luck, asks for "MX Player" so you click OK, it takes you to play store and if you then click open app it opens but won't be playing the file selected in the thinkware app.
It just means I have to take the SD card out to view any clips which is a bit annoying.

Tried that mate to no luck, asks for "MX Player" so you click OK, it takes you to play store and if you then click open app it opens but won't be playing the file selected in the thinkware app.
It just means I have to take the SD card out to view any clips which is a bit annoying.

Looks like a restore to factory is needed to fix that.