Please help! Audi A3 2.0 s-line going into LIMP MODE

Marcoooos

Reaction score
Hi everyone , any help here would be really appreciated!

I have owned the car for 2 weeks and all has been well. Big upgrade from my 1.9 SE A3!

The problem is it’s jumped into limp mode and does it every 30 minutes now. I’m gutted!!! The seller wants nothing to do with it as it’s sold as seen.

The car is a CAT D write off that has been fixed back to original standard. The damage was on the front right hand side of the car.

I have been told it’s multiple thing from different mechanics who have looked at it and checked it on there machines. 4th injector (not fixed the problem), fuel to the injector (not a problem there it’s been checked) and now iv been told it’s the engine wiring loom that’s possibly damaged?!

Should I just sell the car as a bad loss or does anyone have a clue what it could be. The first 2 weeks of owning the car Iv not had one problem and it’s very very quick as it’s been remapped.

I don’t want to sell it if I can help it as its such a nice car.

It may be better to use VCDS as the investigation tool

I will take a look at the engine code when I get home. And it’s a 62 plate.

If it was the wiring loom could it have been fine for 2 weeks then gone into limp mode all of a sudden? Surely if it was the wiring it would have limp modes the day I got it as I haven’t bumped it or anything.

Thanks everyone btw any help is great at the minute :)

Firstly , as mentioned best to get it Auto scanned with a genuine Vcd's cable check out the vcd's section on site where you will find a map off members who have a genuine cable . Send a member who is close by a PM and ask if he will scan for you ( normally a few bee tokens are suffice ) that way you will have something to work with as your fault could be caused by a multitude off reasons ..

Right that’s what I’ll do then. I have just got off the phone to Audi (the ones who told me it’s the wiring loom).

“Numerous places of rubbing and wiring damage on engine ecu loom in nfs corner. Water ingress also in wires. Advise engine loom”

All I’m confused about is how can the car be ok for 2 weeks with engine wiring damage then all of a sudden keep going into limp mode?

Right that’s what I’ll do then. I have just got off the phone to Audi (the ones who told me it’s the wiring loom).

“Numerous places of rubbing and wiring damage on engine ecu loom in nfs corner. Water ingress also in wires. Advise engine loom”

All I’m confused about is how can the car be ok for 2 weeks with engine wiring damage then all of a sudden keep going into limp mode?
Could be numerous reasons , loose wire , bad connection worse if you hit pot hole bump, if your not happy with Audi's diagnostics get another Auto scan done and compare , would be good to give Engine code then maybe someone could advise on loom part number

As said above, get a local member to do a full scan, take the results and post them up here and someone will be able to give to some advice as what to look at. May be a simple cheaper fix than replacing a wiring loom.

If there's water/moisture, it'll mess with the electricity and the computer. If you have access to the wire and connectors, find a way to dry it/displace the water. There are electrical connector cleaners that will displace the water and then the cleaner itself will evaporate away (like brake cleaner). On less sensitive areas, non-connector/not inside the computer, you can always spray some WD-40. That stuff is designed to displace water (water displacement formula 40) and does not conduct electricity.

Have you driven it in the rain recently?