New member. 3.0 TDI 218

ZZidane

Reaction score
Hello everyone, took the plunge on a 2017 second hand 3.0 TDi about 2 weeks ago.

Read quite a bit of info on here, posts mainly from way back in 2017 but I'm interested to know if any of these issues have been resolved following 3 years more experience.

1) Whether the 3.0 TDI 218 S-tronic should or should not be mapped above the 400 torque figure?

Is there more experience of people having done this now and presumably it being ok?

2) The dreaded lag on the box. I have to say it's doing my head in already. Was anything ever resolved on that?

Thanks.

I don't believe the lag issue has been resolved. Mine has just been to the dealer and no outstanding updates, so it's fully up to date with software. It's a bit better in S mode but then you lose some of the relaxedness from town driving and stop/start is disabled.

That engine has the dsg gearbox, not the ZF8 HP, thus there are no updates. The only way to reduce the lag is too apply a remap to the TCU...

Hello everyone, took the plunge on a 2017 second hand 3.0 TDi about 2 weeks ago.

Read quite a bit of info on here, posts mainly from way back in 2017 but I'm interested to know if any of these issues have been resolved following 3 years more experience.

1) Whether the 3.0 TDI 218 S-tronic should or should not be mapped above the 400 torque figure?

Is there more experience of people having done this now and presumably it being ok?

2) The dreaded lag on the box. I have to say it's doing my head in already. Was anything ever resolved on that?

Thanks.
Welcome to the fold.

Reactions: ZZidane

Thanks.
I think the new 45 tdi is quoted at 500nm and is a 7 speed dsg. also the last shape A6/A7 3.0tdi 272ps was also a 7 speed dsg but I don't know if it has the same gearbox as yours. A good tuner such as Dms can map both engine and gearbox.

Thanks.

I have the same Car had it for almost 3 years.

Cant comment much on the torque question but i did read somewhere a while back that the DSG can only handle tourque up to 450nm thats why they put a ZF in the 272 version.

The lag is still an issue unfortunately. No it was engineered that way for a reason according to Audi so doubt there'll be any solutions for it anytime soon.

Enjoy the car though mate. The engines fantastic!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: ZZidane
Thanks for the replies and welcome.

It's definitely not as clear cut as getting a tuning box on practically every other VAG where is pretty much agreed as 'safe'

I was hoping that a few people would have done it by now with positive feedback. Early days, there may well be some members with one that haven't replied. Although they appear fairly rare.