Windscreen wash liquid smelling bad?

KrisKrk

A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant
Reaction score
Had Prestone windscreen wash liquid dilluded with water and all topped up, before left for holiday 4 weeks ago.
All was fine until few days ago when I wanted to sprinkle the windscreen.
Pulled the stalk, liquid squirted on the glass, wipers did their job and the horrible smell entered to the car through open windows.
Stopped and sniffed the wet patches on the windscreen and the smell was that screen wash.

Every time I use it, it smells like old mould or damp.

Could the screen wash boiled in the high temperatures and made that smell or I have something wrong with the wash system?

Thinking if draining it all and flush it with running water but don't know if that's possible or where the drain tap/outlet is (if there is any)

Has anyone experienced something like that or heard/read about it?

Any help appreciated

Sent from H P20 PRO

It happens if the water sits too long. Not a big problem with my A7. But my Fabia vRS has a 5 litre tank. And that always starts to smell.

A7 3.0tdi 272 Black Edition Mythos Black Tech pack

Thanx guys.

Will be getting a proper ac evaporator and interior clean soon so might also drain it all from the bottle.

Bottle is nearly 3litre in capacity and I hardly use it.
That 2litre screen wash I got probably when I bought the car, 4 years ago as don't remember buying that recently.
Don't mix it too much either.

Looking at the salvaged parts and bottles for my car, it doesn't look like it has any drain.
Will need to get it all squirted out and rinse, before adding any new liquid

Sent from H P20 PRO

I had this on an Astra. Ended up buying a new reservoir in the end. No amount of cleaning got rid of the mould.

Just a thought you could fill it with a concentrated solution of sterilising fluid. That may kill it off.

Reactions: KrisKrk
I finished off all the solution deluded and topped it up with clean water to rinse the whole system.
Once that emptied, I poured in clean water again and the windscreen washer neatly.
No bad smell so far.

Thank you guys for all input

Sent from H P20 PRO