Another cooling thread

NoggyAnton

Reaction score
After spending a tonne of money on my car the last few months, it seems it wants to continually hack me off.

Driving home last night in reasonable but not heavy traffic, I notice the temp climb above 90. I was close to home so tickled it the last 1/2 mile and plugged in vcds when I got home.

Both the temp gauge and vcds were showing around 115 degrees. Initially when I got home, I couldn't hear the fans however a cycle of the ignition and they come on.

Having googled a few threads on various forums, it seems there are a few common issues

Some key points

Cambelt and water pump done 3 years ago just prior to my ownership at an audi dealer

Water appears to be circulating as heater runs hot and helps cool the engine when sat in the drive so I don't think its water pump related but could be wrong

Fuses on the top of the battery look mint. No corrosion at all however I have replaced.

Turning on a/c brings on the low speed fans

Put in a new fan switch this morning and ran the car up to 90 degrees. Took it for a drive after running it up to temp in the drive with the cap off to vent air

Seemed fine initially but gradually the temp rose again with no sign of the fans coming on when I got home

Pulling fuse 16 in the dash does bring on the fans and aux pump with ignition on

Having switched off for a few minutes, I fired it back up and it sat quite happily at 98 on the drive

I wondering if this is a control module problem. I have seen another thread suggesting a water pump which I guess would make sense although I wouldn't expect my heaters to be blowing so hot if that was the case

Another thread suggested Head Gasket. I really hope it's not that after the investment this year of a new clutch, turbo, bushes etc. The cars never overheated and doesn't get driven hard so I'd be surprised at this but I guess it can happen.

I would be gutted

So update.
A pointless thread in a sense but it might help someone else out there.

Thermostat was the cause. I hadn't even considered this. Heaters blew hot and the return to the header tank showed flow.

A new one in and its running at a solid 92 degrees after a few miles drive- slightly cooler if anything

Just to prove it, the old one stayed closed in boiling water.
Relatively cheap fix.

I'm still going to do a sniff test just to rule out the HG

See what goes wrong next

Reactions: JOSE8LT