Anyone experienced Vagbremtechnic front brake kit? Or do I stick with oem and add braided lines?

CameronS3

S3 8P
Reaction score
So I’m looking at giving me a little more stopping power as I’m heading towards stage 2+.

Question is am I wasting money putting on new disks and pads, do I just keep oem and add some braided lines and better brake fluid ?

I’ve seen the vagbremtechnic kit on awesome gti with pads, disks and braided lines for the front at £600. Does anyone know if this is a good upgrade or is it wasted money?

Car will only be used for fast road, maybe a track session at some stage.

Thanks, Cam

I’ve been running the vagbremtechnic j-hooks with ds2500 pads on the front for a few years, love them. I did upgrade to the rs3 calipers with their kit as well, nice little set up for fast road

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: CameronS3
Just 2 days ago I upgraded the front brakes on my son’s TT 2.0 FSI.
He bought a 2nd hand pair of
Golf 6R callipers from AKS. We cleaned them up touched up any scratches and sprayed the calliper springs black. The S logo fits well as the TT is an S line. We then fitted them onto the car with new Brembo TTS 340mm discs and pads. Total cost about £400. Whilst I have not driven the car, my son reports that braking ability has improved with less effort needed on the pedal. At the moment he is still running them in and so should improve further with more miles.
Before
A731999C BFE8 474B A723 75ED592CF36B

After
C31A05E2 7E61 44D2 A68B 280E63266B18

Last edited:
I’ve been running the vagbremtechnic j-hooks with ds2500 pads on the front for a few years, love them. I did upgrade to the rs3 calipers with their kit as well, nice little set up for fast road

Did you notice much difference over stock when changing just the disks and pads?

Think braided lines all round with vagbremtechnic disks seems a wise choice.
Just need to decide which pads to suit.
Heard a lot of mixed reviews on the ds2500. Are they dusty as that’s one thing I’d like to improve!

Like the look of brembo hp2000, not stupidly priced either!

I ran Vagbrem j hooks and std discs and there is absolutely no difference in fact i suspect the jhooks are just std discs with the j hook pattern machined in. I know vagbrem dont make their own discs, they buy them in and add the pattern. DS2500 will help but are not road legal so be careful if you have a crash and the Insurance check.
Ultimately performance will come from better pads and 4 pots with larger dia disc's but the std S3 set up is pretty good if ridiculously heavy.

I ran Vagbrem j hooks and std discs and there is absolutely no difference in fact i suspect the jhooks are just std discs with the j hook pattern machined in. I know vagbrem dont make their own discs, they buy them in and add the pattern. DS2500 will help but are not road legal so be careful if you have a crash and the Insurance check.
Ultimately performance will come from better pads and 4 pots with larger dia disc's but the std S3 set up is pretty good if ridiculously heavy.

I’d just like to know my brakes can handle stage 2+ without throwing loads of money at them.
Handy to know vag disks made no difference over stock though, think I’ll just wait until they need replacing and replace them with j hooks and brembo hp2000 pads.

Did you notice much difference over stock when changing just the disks and pads?

Think braided lines all round with vagbremtechnic disks seems a wise choice.
Just need to decide which pads to suit.
Heard a lot of mixed reviews on the ds2500. Are they dusty as that’s one thing I’d like to improve!

Like the look of brembo hp2000, not stupidly priced either!

Braided lines for sure and new fluid always helps.

I used the hp2000s for a while and they do work well, I would use something better for top end stage 2+, the DS pads are a step ahead of the brembos.

I would argue that any disc with grooves, holes or j-hooks improves the disc performance, they ensure brake gases are dispersed improving pad contact, clean the pads during use and aid cooling, the touring cars used j-hooks so works for me

Agree with swapping out the oem 2 pots to 4 or more but that does start getting expensive, I would do pads and discs to start with and see how that works with the car, then bigger calipers when you realise that’s not enough

I think if i went down the Vagbrem route again i would go for the grooved rather than the j hook, , the reason being the grooves run to the edge of the disc. The problem with holes and hooks that dont is that water can be trapped boil/vapourise in them and can lift the pads. Not a problem if the grove runs to the edge. I did some research and Vagbrem do use OEM discs

Agree with swapping out the oem 2 pots to 4 or more but that does start getting expensive, I would do pads and discs to start with and see how that works with the car, then bigger calipers when you realise that’s not enough

Its worse than that they are 1 pot. :)

I think if i went down the Vagbrem route again i would go for the grooved rather than the j hook, , the reason being the grooves run to the edge of the disc. The problem with holes and hooks that dont is that water can be trapped boil/vapourise in them and can lift the pads. Not a problem if the grove runs to the edge. I did some research and Vagbrem do use OEM discs

Fair point