brake bleeding issues!!

mrj0ey

Reaction score
Hi

I removed my calipers yesterday to fit new pads, discs and to give them a lick of paint.

Unfortunately over night one of the clamps has come loose and there is brake fluid all over the place. It has fallen below the minimum level in the resevoir.

I am going to put the calipers back on tomorrow and will try bleeding with an eezibleed system.

Should i have the ignition on or off. If this does not work i will take it in to audi so long as i can drive it that is.

Any help on the best way of doing things is apprecited.

I know there are 2 bleed nipples on the resevoir, but where is the clutch bleed nipple, is it under the car???

Thanks

Why would you be fiddling with the 'clutch bleed nipple' as you term it? The hydraulic clutch circuit and braking circuits are nothing to do with each other.

The ignition doesn't matter either, but I'd have thought off is the way to go.

Bleeding is the same as on any other car, brake res to calipers, but you've also got the ABS pump to consider. To do it properly you'll need VAG-COM or similar to cycle the ABS pump whilst you're bleeding to ensure there is no air trapped in the matrix.

There's also a certain order you should bleed the calipers in, but I'm not sure what that is.

No offence bud, but it's your brakes we're talking about. If you're not 100% sure what you're doing, then leave alone and get somebody who knows what they're doing to sort it. :yes:

Tooks

Only reason i mention the cluth bleeding is that it appears on nearly every post to do with brake bleeding, apparantly the systems are linked. Im not 100% but that is what others have said on this site.

I have an s3, so maybe that is different to your a3.

Abs is apparantly ok so long as you dont press the brake peddle in till there is fluid in the reservoir. I will then be using a pressure system so it should get fluid in there ok.....apparantly.

I would like a garage to do it however if i have no brakes i cant drive it!

Well, I thought I might have been going mad here, so I just checked on elsawin to see exactly what the procedure is for an S3!!

It's exactly the same as on an A3, and in both cases there is no mention of clutch bleed nipples or even touching the hydraulic clutch system.

It looks like quite an involved process IF the brake fluid reservoir has run empty. I've copied the text here, namely:-

"Pre-bleeding

• [SIZE=-1]‒ [/SIZE]Connect up brake filling and bleeding appliance VAS 5234 or V.A.G 1869 A.
  • [SIZE=-1]‒ [/SIZE]Open bleed screws in prescribed sequence and pre-bleed brake calipers.
  • 1 - Simultaneously bleed both front left and front right brake caliper
  • 2 - Simultaneously bleed both rear left and rear right brake caliper
  • [SIZE=-1]‒ [/SIZE]With bleeder bottle hoses attached, leave bleed screws open until the brake fluid which emerges is free from bubbles.
Bleeding
→ Display on VAS 5051:
  • [SIZE=-1]‒ [/SIZE]From list -1- select diagnosis function "04 - Basic setting".
Note:
ABS warning lamp flashes in the course of the following operations.

→ Display on VAS 5051:
  • 1 - Enter display group
  • [SIZE=-1]‒ [/SIZE]Use keypad -2- to enter "001" for "Display group number 001" and confirm by touching Q key.
→ Display on VAS 5051:
  • 1 - Basic setting
  • 2 - Display group 1
  • 3 - Press and hold pedal ...
  • [SIZE=-1]‒ [/SIZE]Press pedal firmly and hold in position.
    • [SIZE=-1]‒ [/SIZE]Pedal sags, hydraulic pump starts up briefly, pedal returns
Display on VAS 5051:
  • 3 - Release pedal; FR/FL bleed screws OPEN <>
  • [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]Release pedal, open front bleed screws.
  • [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]Touch s key to switch to display group 002.
&#8594; Display on VAS 5051:
  • 1 - Basic setting
  • 2 - Display group 2
  • 3 - Please wait .. (10 sec.)
  • [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]Wait 10 seconds.
    • [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]Hydraulic pump starts up briefly
Display on VAS 5051:
  • 3 - Press pedal 10X; bleed screws CLOSED <>
  • [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]Press pedal 10 times, close front bleed screws.
  • [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]Touch s key to switch to display group 003.
  • 1 - Basic setting
  • 2 - Display group 3
  • 3 - Press and hold pedal ...
  • [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]Repeat bleeding procedure as described above.
  • [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]Touch s key in each case to switch to next highest display group until display group 17 is reached.
  • 1 - Basic setting
  • 2 - Display group 17
  • 3 - Partial bleeding over ...
  • [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]Terminate function "04 - Basic setting" by touching &#9666; key.
  • [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]From list -1- select diagnosis function "06 - End of output".
  • [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]Switch off ignition and unplug diagnostic connector when this display appears.
  • [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]Brake system must then be bled
Special feature of right-hand drive vehicles:
&#8594; If one chamber of brake fluid reservoir is completely empty, brake master cylinder must be bled at bleed screws -arrows- on completion of basic setting."

If your reservoir hasn't run dry, this appears to be the basic procedure, again copied from elsawin:-

"Special tools and workshop equipment required
  • [SIZE=-1]&#9670; [/SIZE]Brake filling and bleeding appliance VAS 5234
Or
  • [SIZE=-1]&#9670; [/SIZE]Brake filling and bleeding appliance V.A.G 1869 A
Sequence of operations
  • [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]Connect up brake filling and bleeding appliance VAS 5234 or
    V.A.G 1869 A.
  • [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]Detach protective cap at bleed screw of brake caliper and attach bleed hose of bleeder bottle to bleed screw.
Bleeding sequence

• 1 - Front left brake caliper
  • 2 - Front right brake caliper
  • 3 - Rear left brake caliper
  • 4 - Rear right brake caliper
  • [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]With bleeder bottle hose attached, leave bleed screw open until the brake fluid which emerges is clear and free from bubbles.
  • [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]Press brake pedal 5 times to assist bleeding process. [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]Tighten bleed screw to 10 Nm, detach bleed hose and attach protective cap to bleed screw.
  • [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]Repeat bleeding procedure in stated sequence at other brake calipers.
  • - Making allowance for pad wear, fill brake fluid reservoir as far as max. mark and screw on cap.
  • [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]Start engine and check both brake pedal travel and pressure.
  • [SIZE=-1]&#8210; [/SIZE]In the event of excessive pedal travel, check brake system for leaks/repeat bleeding procedure.
On completion of bleeding, perform test drive involving at least one ABS control operation at all four wheels."

Do you know if you have the ABS/ESP ITT Mark 20 or ITT ABS/ESP Mark 60 system? There appear to be slightly different procedures depending on which one you've got.

So, if your reservoir has run empty, you'll need to do all of the above, and will need VAG-COM or similar. If not, then just the bleeding sequence should do it.

I can send you the PDF's of the process if you want to drop me an email address?

Tooks said:
No offence bud, but it's your brakes we're talking about. If you're not 100% sure what you're doing, then leave alone and get somebody who knows what they're doing to sort it. :yes:

Sounds like good advice to me. How about enlisting the services of a mobile spannerman if your car is now brakeless?

I got mine bled and didn't bother with all that information. Has it just fallen below minimum or is it empty?

If you are going to bleed them start at the furthest away point and work back towards the master cylinder.

An evacuation pump is the best way, those pressure bleeders can aerate the fluid and the eeeze bleed is more trouble than its worth.

Bleeding is really a 2 man job. If you use the pumping method make sure you press the pedal down slowly and let it return slowly otherwise you can invert the seals in the master cylinder then you will be in trouble.

thanks for the replies.

Bled everything but still no joy, i can brake but it is aweful, just about enough for me to get it down to the local audi garage in solihull. booked in for friday for a brake fluid change....will call them tomorrow to tell them that it has air trapped in the abs system though, so will take a little longer.

Thanks again

Joe

Why did you have to disconnect the hoses to change the pads anyway?