S4 Brake Upgrade - Advice please

Chets

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi All,

Probably been asked a few times before but after some advice on discs and pads upgrade on my b8.5 S4.

I've been looking at EBC discs and RedStuff pads with the following part number which seem the best bang for buck. Also planning to go stage 2 in the near future so want to ensure my brakes are up to the task.

I've already looked at the Q5/Maccan calipers but unsure if that's going to bring a great deal of difference over some better discs and pads.

So this is what i've been looking at:
Front Discs EBC GD1844
Front Pads EBC DP31986C
Rear Discs EBC GD1846
Rear Pads EBC DP31988C

Thanks in advance.

Chets

Hi All,

Probably been asked a few times before but after some advice on discs and pads upgrade on my b8.5 S4.

I've been looking at EBC discs and RedStuff pads with the following part number which seem the best bang for buck. Also planning to go stage 2 in the near future so want to ensure my brakes are up to the task.

I've already looked at the Q5/Maccan calipers but unsure if that's going to bring a great deal of difference over some better discs and pads.

So this is what i've been looking at:
Front Discs EBC GD1844
Front Pads EBC DP31986C
Rear Discs EBC GD1846
Rear Pads EBC DP31988C

Thanks in advance.

Chets

I have EBC on my S4 and whilst the pads are fine the discs are Shi*e. Really easy to cook them especially after stage 2. I am changing them over to Stoptech slotted in the near future along with Porsche 4-pot. The part numbers for Stoptechs are:

a5d66edadc745838bb142022f7a65a5f.jpg

Also, 4-pot Porsche/Macan calipers will definitely improve the overall brake feel and they are much better than the stock single piston calipers we have on our cars.

Also Porsche 4-pot are cheaper compared to Q4 4-pot you get from Audi. The Porsche/Stoptech and DS2500 setup would cost you only £300 more than EBC so, it's a no brainer.

One thing that people including I forgot to think about is brake cooling. You have to consider that especially if you are planning on going Stage 2 in the near future.

Reactions: Chets
Standard S4 brakes are mediocre at best and often prone to over heating and fade. Changing the discs and pads will do little to combat this. A proper brake upgrade is the only real way forward especially with better cooling and greater pad/disc friction surface.
Once tuned, it’s easy to go faster but much harder to stop quicker!!

Reactions: NicksRR, V6_Man and Chets
Standard S4 brakes are mediocre at best and often prone to over heating and fade. Changing the discs and pads will do little to combat this. A proper brake upgrade is the only real way forward especially with better cooling and greater pad/disc friction surface.
Once tuned, it’s easy to go faster but much harder to stop quicker!!

I found the standard brakes decent with good pads and disks on a stage 1 S4. Never did any track driving but plenty spirited driving on windy roads.

I will be considering something slightly beefier when I go stage 2 but I’ll see how it feels first

I have EBC on my S4 and whilst the pads are fine the discs are Shi*e. Really easy to cook them especially after stage 2. I am changing them over to Stoptech slotted in the near future along with Porsche 4-pot. The part numbers for Stoptechs are:

a5d66edadc745838bb142022f7a65a5f.jpg

Also, 4-pot Porsche/Macan calipers will definitely improve the overall brake feel and they are much better than the stock single piston calipers we have on our cars.

Also Porsche 4-pot are cheaper compared to Q4 4-pot you get from Audi. The Porsche/Stoptech and DS2500 setup would cost you only £300 more than EBC so, it's a no brainer.

One thing that people including I forgot to think about is brake cooling. You have to consider that especially if you are planning on going Stage 2 in the near future.
I've heard good things about stoptech so still do some more research on these. DBA discs are also another option I've been looking into.
In terms of pads, Hawk come highly recommended and I had these on my previous car too.

In regards to the maccan calipers, these come up to approximately £500 for the pair from the last quote I got.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

I found the standard brakes decent with good pads and disks on a stage 1 S4. Never did any track driving but plenty spirited driving on windy roads.

I will be considering something slightly beefier when I go stage 2 but I’ll see how it feels first
Did you go for updated discs and pads?

Did you go for updated discs and pads?

EBC discs and RedStuff pads on my old stage 1. eBay special

I’m not 100% what’s on my new S4 so I’ll see how I get on once it’s been tuned.

I'd definitely recommend fitting rs 8 pot calipers, standard discs and ds2500 pads to help cope with the extra power. There's a reason the rs has those calipers as standard.

Also have stoptech discs and ds2500 pads on the rear.

Have done a couple of track days and haven't wished that the brakes would be better at any point.

Reactions: AndrewW and Chets