S3 Facelift - DRL LED Bulb/Strip

Thomo_1875

Reaction score
Looking to get some info about the LED DRL bulbs on a 2009 Facelift S3 with Xenon headlights. Driver side light needs replaced. Unsure if it's a single LED or an LED strip? Wanted to check on here before I have a go at removing it, as far as I know the bumper needs dropped slightly to access it.

Any info about them to save some hassle.

Thanks

The LED strip can’t be replaced. You’ll need to replace the whole headlamp.

Reactions: Thomo_1875
I’d imagine you can replace it but it’ll probably be a long fiddly process as you’ll have to take it all to pieces and then re-seal it. But if it is a case of having to buy a new light I’d give it a go before you buy one because they’re about £300 (+/-£50) second hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a go at taking the headlamp out and see if I can get anywhere.

Reactions: Bryant1998
you will not have any success trying to change the drl. you need a new lamp

I have disconnected the wiring that was powering the working LED strip, I tried to connect a standard 12V 5W bulb to the wiring for the LED to remove the dashboard fault light hoping this would trick the onboard computer into thinking the light was working. But the warning message is still there.

Does anyone know of a way around this, to eliminate the fault so that both LEDs can be disconnected and not have the car throw up a fault? Ideally would rather do this, as a new headlight unit isn't cheap.

Thanks

May be worth buying a Carista adapter or seeking somebody near who has one.
In my 2011 A4 I turned on the option for them to be enabled / disabled in the cars settings. I've checked Carista for your year and the option is there too.
This may resolve your fault as a fix until you get a new headlight.
Amazon product

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    246.2 KB · Views: 154
Thanks for the reply. I actually have the Carista app & adapter. I did try this option through the app of disabling the the DRL but the fault still shows.

Any other apps for Android that I could use with the Carista Bluetooth adapter to change settings on the car? Have tried Info Car & OBD Eleven but didn't see any options relating to lights.