RNS-E

yoyobang

Reaction score
Hello!

I just want to know if is RNS-e worth buying in 2019? I want to upgrade my Audi concert radio ...

Thanks

Depends on what you want as the Endgame, what's your requirements?

I want my steering wheel buttons to work properly, now they don't, only volume button works ... Phone connects via bluetooth but nothing works. I want to have the GPS. I think it would be a nice upgrade to the car, but some people say it's not worth ... In addition I really like the look of it, it fits perfectly in the car and I don't like aftermarket radios at all.

My A4 had RSN-E and I really don’t miss it other than the Bluetooth phone module but I retrofitted that to the Symphony in my S3. I had 2016 maps and while the screen looks nice the actual nav isn’t a patch on Google.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I sum it up, you want to say it is not the best? I would probably use it with 2019 maps ...

Reactions: Grey_Man
I just don’t miss it. It was nice when I had it but for what I need the Audi Symphony with Bose and a Dension Gateway 100 iPod interface is good enough. Maybe I’m not the best person to ask?

Every advice is useful ;)
I don'thave Bose, but I have AUX by default. MMI is the thing I'm missing in my car ...

Nice work mate. Is your antenna receiving enough satelites?
Where you did the coding, VCDS or VAGCOM?

I also have AUX, so I will need 32-pin connector ...

Does someone have a good deal for the RNS-E, it must be MK2 (193G)

Yeah, as you said, get the mk 2 as it's a big step up in resolution than the earlier versions. Never had an issue with the nav on mine, got me where I wanted to go everytime. I had the patched version that supports full postcode input.

Reactions: yoyobang
Yes, you can buy a later nav disc that supports full post code input but you need to update the headunit first with a separate disc that allows this. They are both usually sold together and not something that Audi offer afaik.

Actually when i bought my disc off ebay it had the patch on it and it just self loaded before installing the new maps.

Takes a while to enter an address with the scroll wheel - but once it's entered never had any issues and gets me to where I need to go. Bought a 2019 maps disc off eBay and works great. I do like the look it gives the interior compared to aftermarket units.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

As i mentioned the other day there is a good reason why even an 8 year old RNSE plus fetches considerably more money than a new android HU.
If you just want a radio, music and a sat nav its still the best. If you want to switch the washing machine on at home while doing a track day at 100mph 200 miles away then you might need something with an app ( whatever that is) :)

Reactions: Badger-a-s and nluk100
Nah, I don't need to turn on my washing machine XD.
So it means RNS-E is quite nice but do you know any good deals? I am from Slovenia, no one sells this here.

If I sum it up, you want to say it is not the best? I would probably use it with 2019 maps ...

Just installed the 2019 nav software in mine, works a treat.
e773dfa86ded793d068d11a6c3a8c5f4.jpg

Reactions: Badger-a-s
Yes but does it have a full postcode search like the 2015 disc ? if not why is it better ?

When I bought my previous car (2008 A4) it came with the original 2008 discs. I bought the 2016 disk off eBay and paid a little extra for speed cameras, this came complete with postcodes and the update. I was going to upgrade this last year but I couldn’t find a newer version with post codes.

2016 was the last year they did a 7 digit postcode , thats why i wondered why the 2019 disc was better ? audi never produced the 2016 discs, they were A PRIVATE ENTERPRISE BUT THEY WERE SO OFTEN COPIED THE GUYS THAT SUPPLIED THE POSTCODE DATA AND SPEED CAMERA STUFF STOPPED SUPPLYING IT TO THE GUY MAKING THE DISCS.

Sorry caps lock gone made on this keyboard.

No audible alarm with the speed cameras either which was a bit annoying, illegal in parts of Europe apparently....

personally I'd fit one of the CarPlay double din units. probably won't cost much more than a RNS-E unit and gives a lot more for the money. You can retain steering wheel controls easily.

Hi. Hope this is the right place.

Hi have 2009 facelift A3 and want to swap the Head Unit. Are there any good aftermarket headunits that can display the radio on driver DIS on the IC?

Regards

Hi. Hope this is the right place.

Hi have 2009 facelift A3 and want to swap the Head Unit. Are there any good aftermarket headunits that can display the radio on driver DIS on the IC?

Regards

Hi and welcome to the forum. You would be better off starting your own thread in the in car entertainment section. You're likely to get more replies as people will see your thread heading in 'new posts'. As it is your question is buried within somebody elses thread and may not get any replies.

I’ve got an Audi Symphony in my A3 (identical to the Concert but it has an internal CD changer that takes up to 6 discs), as well as the iPod dock in the glovebox.
I’m an old git and iPods /MP3’s aren’t my thing , to me in-car music comes from the radio or a CD!
I was lured by the aesthetics of an RNS-E and so bought one and fitted one but removed it after about 2 days, luckily I didn’t lose any money on it as they’re easily sold on.
I had a few issues though which perhaps I could have solved had I persevered but tbh it was too much hassle ;

1) The radio reception was not good.The RNS-E when factory-fitted uses a differently wired antenna circuit .

2) The RNS-E is only a single disc unit. I had to obtain a glove-box mounted CD changer unit to make it a multi -disc set-up and never got it to work properly.

3) The RNS-E unit disc drive kept ‘waking up’ and making a whirring noise about every 10 minutes even when switched off, again this was something to do with it being a non-factory installation .
Long-term this could cause battery drain issues but my OCD wouldn’t allow it to get that far ,LOL.

4)The biggest issue to me was the fear that I’d come back to the car and find a brick through the window and a big hole where my RNS-E once was ! The idea of putting a coat or blanket etc over the dash to hide the unit every time I parked up was daft , theft of these units appears to be common , and the presence of an RNS-E in an A3 really seems to increase the chance of a break-in.

I don’t miss the RNS-E at all , I love my old fashioned Symphony even though it looks antique in comparison and simply use a Tom Tom if I need sat nav.

Is the CD changer really that important? I never use CDs, I'll probably use navigation CDs, when I buy a RNS-E but only one specific CD for my country ...

CD's were a short lived thing like a shiny record back in the 20th Century . There main selling point was you could scratch them or put finger prints on them and they would still work which was rubbish... If you are still interested they have one in the Science museum :)

Not bad for standing your brew on though, and the cases are pretty good at getting frost off of windscreens....

Reactions: paddy
Us motorcyclist usually carry one to put under the side stand on a bike to stop it sinking in the mud...

Reactions: J0N
Top tip indeed sir