MMI and amazon music HD

Martyn wilkinson

Reaction score
Hi all

My first time on the forum so please be gentle!

I recently picked up my audi a8 - first audi so still getting to grips with the MMI etc.

I've recently upgraded to amazon music HD service, does anyone know if the MMI will pick up on this or is amazon music in the mmi package a separate "entity" to my music account ?

Hope this makes sense

Thanks in advance

Martyn

I'd be keen to find out as well, although I've not upgraded as yet.
If you've already upgraded then all I can suggest is to try it and see what happens.
Good luck,
Dave

@Martyn wilkinson did you ever try this and if so, could you tell the difference in terms of sound quality and is there any indication in the MMI that you are streaming a HD audio format?
Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave

I suppose not much of an update but I can tell you what I have found although maybe anecdotally plus Im not much of an audiophile but hope it helps!

You can select UHD and HD tracks via the Playlists when they are labeled as such eg 'Top Hits UHD' but when searching for example Fleetwood Mac you cant see if its HD or not.

Quality wise I cant tell any difference, it sounds pretty good - but I didnt have my Audi very long before I upgraded to HD

A couple of points which I have found

The Amazon app within the MMI is great for functionality, but it has a tendancy to pause at times as if its a streaming problem, even if I have full signal etc on phone - Dealership said its an Amazon thing and not an Audi thing and as its new tech within the car it may take time to get better - tbh I dont think they knew!!

Amazon Music does sound better than using Spotify through the MMI\Andrioid Auto App, and sounds better than blue tooth or SD card - again Im no music expert and there is probably a raft of reasons why this is

Also from reading up about the HD\UHD thing, you have to have the correct Codec in the device\speaker to benefit - dont think my car has this (A8 19 plate) nor have my speakers\headphones in house

Again not sure if this helps but though it worth sharing anyway

Cheers

MArtyn

Thanks Martyn,
I've taken the free 3 month trial and have just tried it in my A6 C8, I've played a couple UHD playlists but there is no indication in the MMI if the track is UHD or not. I don't think there's any way to confirm the bitrate to make sure it's a high definition track?
Thanks,
Dave

Also tried this via Android Auto and there's no indication in the AA display of the MMI.

Hopefully future software updates will address this