A3 - weird electrical problem

Rgrahamvox

Reaction score
Hi all, I did try and look for other threads but I can't find this issue.

I have a 2007 A3 2.0 TDI DSG, owned it a couple years now. Today, its had a very odd problem. I went to start the car, turned the key and waited for the coils. Radio, dials, light, everything came on as usual. As soon as I turned the key to start, absolutely nothing, not even the slightest hint of engine turn, everything electrical died immediately, and the petrol dial stayed at the filled-to level, didn't drop back down to the bottom. Even the central locking didn't work, both with button and with key in lock! I found this extremely odd, as if it were a computer crashing or freezing. Never had this before. It's a relatively new battery (maybe a year old), and fully charged.

So I disconnected the battery, waited a few seconds, connected it up again. Turned the key, car started as well as ever. Went out where I needed to go. Two stops, car started fine. Third stop, and again nothing, temp and petrol dial stuck at level, no hint of engine. Disconnect battery and reconnect, car starts perfectly and I drive home no problem.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? The weather has been bad, could I have water in somewhere causing an issue? I drove Saturday night in extremely bad rain and hitting some big standing water at speed, and then didnt use the car again until today. My car doesn't have any under plates, they fell off over a year ago due to snow. But I've driven in water this bad before and never had this issue. Apart from that everything else is fine, when running the car is perfect, all electrics fine etc. The engine bay, including around the battery all look bone dry, even before my third drive today when I had to do the battery again.

If anyone has any idea what this could be and what I need to watch out for or repair, I'd be extremely grateful!

Cheers.

As always the first thing to do would be to get VCDS on it and see if it recorded the fault ?

It sounds like it could be the ignition lock or a simple thing like an ground connection to chassis somewhere.
But, as paddy says, check the fault codes first.