2007 1.9 TDi iPod music

Ryandoc

Reaction score
Hi folks

I’ve recently bought a 2007 1.9 TDi, my first ever Audi. I’ve spoken to condone about retro fitting cruise control so should have that in hand.
Also fitted a centre armrest myself a week ago.

My reason for this thread is that is there anyway I can connect an iPod etx and play through the speakers?

I don’t have Bluetooth. What I have noticed is that there is an iPod cable in the glove box that disappears into the dash somewhere. It’s the old wide connection type though. If I could just get a 3.5mm jack then I could use adapter to connect my apple lightening type phone / iPod etx.

Can anyone enlighten me please on an idiots guide. What cabling can I use, where does it connect to, what buttons would I press etx?

Thanks.

Edit: I only have the bog standard dash setup with CD player I don’t have the screen (rns-e is it ?)

Last edited:
A very common request and there are a lot of similar threads on this very subject, with a very good selection of solutions.
Maybe try doing a search across the forum for similar issues or more specific worded search.
Lots on the forums and this one aswell.
I expect you'll get a good response from many that have done the same.

rob

Hi Rob

All noted, I did actually do a search and as you say there seems to be a few recommendations based around tune to air type devices, different cables, even someone that said they had adapter cables they could supply.

Just don’t want to buy something that isn’t then compatible with my setup.

And always appreciative of idiots guides with the options but will take another look

I would normally help but thus far I have not messed around with that config.
I either fitted a blue tooth adapter or as I have done several times just changed to a more up to date aftermarket HU ,which is a bit more expense to start with, well worth it overall for the newer tech and connectivity one gets with it.
I'd be more inclinded to go that route but all down to your situation.

I have just fitted an Alpine unit which does work very well.
I decided to use the remote AUX and USB functions ( most new HU's have them) aswell , fitted this extension to make things easy without going in the glovebox all the time, just leave my iPhone lead plugged in.....:thumbs up:

Aux3

Never even thought about a replacement head unit.

Is there any that are generally recommended that won’t break the bank?

I’d actually be happy with just attaching an adapter cable to the cable that’s already in the glove box and just trailing the cable out.

I read on here that the cable inside the glove box might actually be factory installed is that right? And that I press the CD butting twice to play through it?

But if there’s a HU option I may look at that, just never even crossed my mind

Or , if you to just use what is fitted then just get a remote aux socket , lots on fleabay etc and then replace the ipod lead in the glove box.
Ask "Alex Holmes" as he has done the fit .

Never even thought about a replacement head unit.

Is there any that are generally recommended that won’t break the bank?

I’d actually be happy with just attaching an adapter cable to the cable that’s already in the glove box and just trailing the cable out.

I read on here that the cable inside the glove box might actually be factory installed is that right? And that I press the CD butting twice to play through it?

But if there’s a HU option I may look at that, just never even crossed my mind

All down to you really and what you are looking to gain.
My car didn't have BT to start with or an aux in the glove box, doing both mods to factory fit worked to be expensive for the tech you get, after all the B7 is almost 13 years old so justifying spending hundreds on 13 year old tech just didn't work for me.
Newer aftermarket kit works so much better for the same or less outlay.
The big bonus for me was that I get both options as standard with an aftermarket unit , also transferred all my cd's to my iPhone now so I get music /tel/contacts/messages/sat nav etc plus more .
Bit of a no brainer really.
Just my input really , but if you do stick with what you have , the ipod lead is factory fit so you will need to rewire the oem loom or hu interface to suit.

Thanks folks that’s helped already.

Should have a place lined up to do the cruise control retro fit so will see about replacing the cable with an aux, I’d be happy with a neat little 3.5mm socket somewhere on the dash or failing that stick with the glovebox.

And just to confirm I double press the CD button to get the cable to play?

I never got a manual with the car otherwise I would have checked

Thanks