ARB Bushes (Pics inside) + Advice needed...

CLS3

Every penny goes on the Audi!!
Reaction score
I've had a knocking noise for about a week from the front of my S3...blah blah blah...yadda yadda yadda... as alot of people have and narrowed it down, after researching on here, to top mounts or ARB bushes.

Its definately ARB bushes!! at least a millimeter of movement in the drivers side one!!:blink: ...witness...

Picture061.jpg

Picture062.jpg

I've read a couple of threads on here after searching that I might have to change the whole anti roll bar as the bushes are integral to it.

My question is... I have a 2001 Facelift 210bhp S3, do I have to change the whole ARB or can I just change the bushes?
...and also is it essential to drop the subframe to take the bar out? I will have a look myself when I get it on a ramp but if anyone knows it would help me plan my next move.

I was going to just uprate them to powerflex bushes for now then uprate the bars after a few other item i.e. a remap!, but if I have to change the whole ARB then I may as well swap them both for a set of Eibachs as we're dealers for them at work.

Thanks Chris :icon_thumright:

Its not just your bushes, look at how rusted the bar is!!!!

What happens is as the bar moves the powdercoat rubs off and water gets in and rusts the bar.

It massively common in the A3/S3/Mk4 Golf cars.

You need a new bar, and new bushes.

I used it as an excuse to just buy uprated front and rear ARBS's.

I can't afford a new ARB at the mo so I have just removed the loose sleeves from the ARB by spliting them in two. Thoroughly cleaned the ARB up by rubbing it down and de-greasing it. I then re bonded them back on (held tightly together with zip ties while it set). Once dry I could rub down so they were perfectly smooth. Fitted new OE rubber bushes with bags of silicone based grease on it to aid free movement between the rubber bush and plasic sleeve.

I caught this problem just in time I think. It looks like your ARB has actually worn and the plasic sleeve disintergrated.

This has removed any knocking my car had and even feels more stable.