Perception of stepping up ......... S3 and beyond

msdmjb

Reaction score
So, I have a 5yr old stage1 S3 which is more than fast enough for getting about and sits in three figures all day long on european motorways, long term average 32.4mpg and only issue been a replaced haldex pump. Reliable, economical, subtle etc and tbh no need to change as done less than 40k miles. I am trying to work out if buying into something "more expensive" is actually worth doing or am I just getting interested in the want.

Anybody previously moved on from lets say a fast hot hatch type thing to something double or even triple the cost and thought wow that is so worth it (or not)?

Only manuals to be considered which means discounting anything starting MB/Audi but does leave things like M2C/GT4/911/new M3 or M4. I guess my sensible head is always going to say you already have a fast enough car and when would the extra shove actually be used for more than a few secs at a time without risking jail time. Do other people think the sweet spot of going quickly is £30-40k and even an AMG45S is getting silly money or is the step to that or beyond 'worth it...........it seems to me that performance is now way more accessible than it used to be which has to call into question buying expensive cars?? The S3 doesn't get used that much, not used for commuting nor town driving, i do live in the middle of nowhere with access to lots of great deserted roads.

Ta