Eco tyres rear, grippy tyres front?

BenUK

Reaction score
Hey,

I am after a bit of advice. In order to cure some of the inherent understeer in my A3 I wonder if it would be worth trying to get some eco tyres fitted to the rear and then a sports tyre of some kind at the front. Has anyone done this and would it be recomended in order to get a bit more "front end bite"?

Thanks.

Ben.

S-Line A3 Hatch, petrol, 1.4 150ps - 2015

I got Bridgestone Turanzas on my rear and PS4s on my front. Handles really well! I got Eibach lowering springs and APR ARB so its much more fun around the corners that's for sure :icon thumright: Just to let you know, the road noise is louder and fuel economy will drop, from my first hand experience with sport tyres compared to my previous eco Pirelli on the front.

This is worth a whirl... do not use the same tyre pressure on all four tyres. If the front tyres are about 3 psi or slightly higher than the rears that will reduce understeer. I keep my S3 with 39-40 front and 36 rears and Haldex in individual dynamic mode. For an A3 look at the recommended pressures for your tyre size and use the light load pressures and have the front tyres at 2-3 or more psi than recommended rear pressures.

Your life, your rules.
When I was younger I had wider tyres at the front and thinner ones at the rear.........never before has a 1990 Astra been able to oversteer so much.
Most of the time you will be absolutely fine but only takes one time.........life is too short. It is not because of lack of grip the car understeers, it is designed into the chassis and setup.

Or possibly slowing down more into corners etc.

Reactions: Goner and craigpanthercrystal
Hey,

I am after a bit of advice. In order to cure some of the inherent understeer in my A3 I wonder if it would be worth trying to get some eco tyres fitted to the rear and then a sports tyre of some kind at the front. Has anyone done this and would it be recomended in order to get a bit more "front end bite"?

Thanks.

Ben.

Just buy either Roadstone eurovis Sport 04 or Blacklion champoint Bu66 best low price and performs as any those well known..

Hey,

Thanks.

Ben.

Slow down would be the best bet, if you're getting under steer on a public road then you're a) either going too fast or b) not driving to the road conditions.

Or using SH*T rubber.

If you end up sorting the front you will probably start to oversteer and want to sort the back end then the battle begins with tyres, suspension, drop links, roll bars bushes etc then it starts costing.

My advice would be slow down perfect your driving and save a bit of money.

Last edited: