Wheel size on winters

Antjos1

Reaction score
Hi all
Now its getting a bit colder up here in the north east
I need some winter wheels, tyres, my last car the s3 I got 18in on them and they looked very good.
Now the s4 needs some I was thinking 18in would look small on the s4 saloon so I am pondering getting 19in .
What's your thoughts .
Cheers.

My opinion is that 18s are generally stronger, give greater tyre depth (profile), cost less and have more true winter tyres available for them ....

it depends if it’s all about the look for you or not ! I think I might’ve gone for old school steel wheels if I could’ve got them in the right fitment - then I could’ve bumped snow covered curbs and parked in ditches without any worries ..... just depends why you want them and what you do with your car ! mine don’t go on until late November and come off at the end of February so I can live with a less big wheel for a few months !

Reactions: SiPie
My opinion is that 18s are generally stronger, give greater tyre depth (profile), cost less and have more true winter tyres available for them ....

it depends if it’s all about the look for you or not ! I think I might’ve gone for old school steel wheels if I could’ve got them in the right fitment - then I could’ve bumped snow covered curbs and parked in ditches without any worries ..... just depends why you want them and what you do with your car ! mine don’t go on until late November and come off at the end of February so I can live with a less big wheel for a few months !
Thanks for your reply that's a good write up.
Much appreciated.

I will happily sell my 18 inch sline alloys in perfect condition once I find a set of 19 5v spoke or rotors I can afford.

Reactions: Jonjo_devon
Worth checking the price of 19" v 18" winter tyres before pulling the trigger on wheels.

There was a huge difference in price and availability when I bought mine.

I also reckoned it's dark most of the winter anyway, so who is going to be able to see the smaller 18s

Worth checking the price of 19" v 18" winter tyres before pulling the trigger on wheels.

There was a huge difference in price and availability when I bought mine.

I also reckoned it's dark most of the winter anyway, so who is going to be able to see the smaller 18s
Good points.
Cheers

Hi all
I have decided the 18in wheels but can someone inform me the best tyre size
225/45
235/40
245/40
Cheers

245 40 18 is the closest circumference and speedometer reading compared to standard s4 245 /35/19 fitment

check out a tyre size comparison website .... https://tiresize.com/comparison/

225/45/18 is going to be the worst in terms of circumference and speed reading compared to standard

My son has just got 255 35s for the 19s on his S5 but they seem too skinny to me.I have a set of 16 inch steels with fat Michelins on them which are the same radius as the 245 40 s on the 18 inch alloys.Expendable at £100 for the set if we do get a bad winter.

But they won’t fit over a b9 s4 calliper ........ your 16s I mean !

Does anyone know if I will get away with a 225/50/R17 wheel & winter tyre on my B9.5 S4 - appearance not too important over winter.

I hadn't even considered the discs & callipers etc but now I think about it they may not even go on!

I'm pretty confident 17's wont fit. 18's are a squeeze radially and in my case I had to pack the front out with spacers so my 'old' b8 winter wheels would fit.

I'm pretty confident 17's wont fit. 18's are a squeeze radially and in my case I had to pack the front out with spacers so my 'old' b8 winter wheels would fit.
What wheels did you have? I have some original B8 S4 18s but not sure how much spacing if any they will require.

With respect: it may be worth just taking a look at your own vehicle wheel/tyre fit sticker - so much information already there - and the legal/homologated wheel tyre-fit for your own vehicle.

What wheels did you have? I have some original B8 S4 18s but not sure how much spacing if any they will require.
They were b8.5 s4 winter wheels (8Ko 601 025) ET 43 and I used 12mm spacers on the front to clear the calipers. To be honest 5mm would have done the trick but they wouldn't have been hub centric. One thing you might have to check - I think the early b8's had a smaller centre bore than the later ones. But other than that, with some spacers, they should work.