Roof problem... new motor or brushes?

newsrus

Reaction score
I have a problem with my roof on my 2007 A4 S-line. It always opens when the switch is used, but once the roof is folded down into its holder the deck lid goes down very slowly and most of the time it doesn't lock - the catches don't engage and pull it all the way down, leaving it slightly open. If I drive off with it like that and then try using the switch again at the first set of traffic lights, it will often engage the catches and pull the roof closed, completing the cycle. But when I go to close the roof later, 90% of the time nothing will happen. The operating light will flash but the roof doesn't move. I will then have to close it manually.... I actually only have to open the lid with the key, pull the roof out and then lock the lid again. After that, it will finsh the rest of the closing cycle just by using the switch. I've tried a manual reset. In the past, I have removed the motor and cleaned the brushes. I'm wondering if the brushes may need to be replaced.... or perhaps the whole motor. Any thoughts?