Water in the boot!

Abi

Reaction score
Hi all,
I yesterday noticed that the rear seats on my girlfriends A3 8p 2010 sportback on the passenger side were damp. I checked the boot/tailgate and found the spare wheel cover was also damp on the n/s along with water in the spare wheel well, the upholstery in the boot on the n/s was damp too.
I’ve today looked at the tailgate seal and the rear n/s quarter window seals, all look ok with no telltale signs of water ingress, it has no roof mount antennas etc.. so no issues there either as the roof lining is fine. Also no holes etc.. underneath as it’s in vgc underneath.
I know we have had lots of rain recently but my A3 exact same model is fine. Any ideas how it’s getting in??
Hope someone can help as more rain is due over the foreseeable future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Also this is rain water and not screen wash from the rear wiper!

She hasn't been carry old people in the back ?

Does it have panoramic sunroof?

It’s a common problem with all of the roofs. The gutters get gunked up and the water just builds up. Had it on my M5 ended up costing me £5k to replace the ECUs and BMW put £6k towards it

Does it have panoramic sunroof?

It’s a common problem with all of the roofs. The gutters get gunked up and the water just builds up. Had it on my M5 ended up costing me £5k to replace the ECUs and BMW put £6k towards it

No, it’s a solid roof.

This may not help much but.....
Last week I did a few jobs on my sisters 2009 Mini Cooper and had to remove a load of junk from her boot.
After doing so, I discovered that the spare wheel toolkit was soaking and so was the boot floor carpet .
I dried it all out and began to worry how I would sort out the obvious leak.....
It was only after putting all the junk back in that I noticed that one of the items was an empty 5l distilled water container (she’s a nurse...) so figured out it had simply leaked...

This may not help much but.....
Last week I did a few jobs on my sisters 2009 Mini Cooper and had to remove a load of junk from her boot.
After doing so, I discovered that the spare wheel toolkit was soaking and so was the boot floor carpet .
I dried it all out and began to worry how I would sort out the obvious leak.....
It was only after putting all the junk back in that I noticed that one of the items was an empty 5l distilled water container (she’s a nurse...) so figured out it had simply leaked...

Thanks for that but the boot is kept empty. I’m at a loss!

Pull off the door seal and see if it’s wet where the seal grips the lip around the whole door aperture. If it is then anew door seal required.
Same goes for the tailgate seal.
With the tailgate open, take off the plastic covers in the top corners where the roof meets tailgate door shut and hatch hinges. On both sides the W iring loom passes through a rubber gaiter into roof above the headlining. If not fitted correctly it will be wet there and water drips onto the seat.

Reactions: Abi
Pull off the door seal and see if it’s wet where the seal grips the lip around the whole door aperture. If it is then anew door seal required.
Same goes for the tailgate seal.
With the tailgate open, take off the plastic covers in the top corners where the roof meets tailgate door shut and hatch hinges. On both sides the W iring loom passes through a rubber gaiter into roof above the headlining. If not fitted correctly it will be wet there and water drips onto the seat.

I’ll have a look tomorrow, ta