P2147 Error Code

splinter-cell

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Recently I’ve been having an issue with my Audi A3 2010 1.6 TDI. Sometimes I could be driving along, and the car will just shut down and the coil light would begin flashing. I can restart the car and the problem would go away but can reoccur after a few mins, miles or sometimes even days.

I’ve had a brief look with a friends VCDS and it seems like I have an intermittent P2147 error code. Any idea what the likely culprits could be?

Thanks in advance.

Code:
7078 - Supply Voltage for Fuel Injector Group A 
          P2147 00 [232] - Short to Ground
          MIL ON - Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 16
                    Mileage: 143029 km
                    Date: 2019.10.26
                    Time: 00:24:21
                    Engine speed: 2018.25 /min
                    Normed load value: 23.1 %
                    Vehicle speed: 34 km/h
                    Coolant temperature: 34 °C
                    Intake air temperature: 12 °C
                    Ambient air pressure: 980 mbar
                    Voltage terminal 30: 13.214 V
                    Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
                    Incorrect information on selected Piezo power level-LF_STATE_PPS_SPI[0]: 2
                    Injection valve 1: voltage-V_INJ_MAIN[0]: 121.31 V
                    Injection valve 2: voltage-V_INJ_MAIN[1]: 126.88 V
                    Supply voltage of analog output 1-VCC_1: 5.02 V
                    Supply voltage of analog output 2-VCC_2: 5.02 V
                    Injection valve 3: voltage-V_INJ_MAIN[2]: 126.62 V
                    Injection valve 4: voltage-V_INJ_MAIN[3]: 131.72 V

Last edited:
Points towards injector related, Google for more info.

Thanks for the quick reply @NHN, I'll see what Google comes up with. I have just added a copy of the fault code that I received. Don't know if that helps point to anything specific.

Also, am I right in assuming that "Group A" is referring to Injectors 1 & 2 and that "Group B" would refer to 3 & 4? Or does "Group A" refer to all 4 injectors as one group?

Last edited:
Could be injector loom, inspect wiring for any burns.

Av a look at this link ( gives you some advice , ( https://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=30806 )

Thanks for that link. I've had a brief look at the injector wiring and it seems like 2 of the injector wires may be pressing up against a fuel line when the engine cover is on. Looks like these lines do get pretty warm/hot as the car is running. I'm wondering if this could have something to do with it.

I can't see any burn marks on the wires but it is dark outside so I will have a look again tomorrow.

If i recall you can test your loom with vcds but how i for the love off me cant mind but hopefully one who remembers will point you in right ditection

Reactions: splinter-cell
Damn, too bad you can't remember. Could've saved me some time :). Thanks for your advice though. At least I won't be flying blind.

Regret getting the update done to the car now with all these endless injector issues. That said, I guess the 1.6TDI is famous for injector issues with or without the update :shrug:

Damn, too bad you can't remember. Could've saved me some time :). Thanks for your advice though. At least I won't be flying blind.

Regret getting the update done to the car now with all these endless injector issues. That said, I guess the 1.6TDI is famous for injector issues with or without the update :shrug:
I saw it on ross-tech forum as had issues with my engine and was trying to rule out certain things , i will have another look and see if i can find link failing that google and youtube

I saw it on ross-tech forum as had issues with my engine and was trying to rule out certain things , i will have another look and see if i can find link failing that google and youtube

cheers mate. I’ve had a look and the only thing that I can see is the Output tests. Not sure if that’s correct

Quick update,

I have had the number 3 injector replaced as it was causing a few issues. However the car seems to be having a slight misfire of sorts.

What’s weirder is that there’s nothing in the logs to suggest the the engine is misfiring at all. No error codes. MAF, EGR, Throttle body and injection values all appear to be within spec.

The car does struggle to pull a little especially on a hill. Could a faulty loom be causing this slight misfire?

Drive it and watch the log as it may only report the misfire under a certain load.

Just an update. Managed to get the issue sorted. Appeared to be a tear in the wire from the Ecu side which seemed to cause a grounding issue. Repaired the wire using some heat shrink and all is fine. Thanks for the help guys!

Just an update. Managed to get the issue sorted. Appeared to be a tear in the wire from the Ecu side which seemed to cause a grounding issue. Repaired the wire using some heat shrink and all is fine. Thanks for the help guys!

Good find and fix, how was it located used load test light at the injector loom?

I guess if it was a wire bare touching metal, I can see how this would cause the issue.

Good find and fix, how was it located used load test light at the injector loom?

hi. I isolated the problem because the car kept cutting out. One night the car cut out and refused to start. Sounded like it wasn’t getting enough fuel and I’ve recently had a couple of injectors replaced by Audi under warranty as part of the EA189 emissions fix so thought I’d start there.

I unplugged the injectors one by one and tried to crank the car and the car started as soon as I unplugged the 3rd injector. If I replugged it and tried starting the car refused again. Limped the car home and traced the wiring from the 3rd injector in the morning and found the break. :)

Reactions: aqibi2000
Nicely done.

Hi, just wondering where was the general location of the break in the wire? Have a 1600 golf with the exact same symptoms / code. Just looking for some more info before I begin to strip the wiring to inspect.